Excessive Charges? 73 yr old father needs a hand

Users who are viewing this thread

firepilot

Reaction score
Hey All,

Talked to my father last night. He was telling me he had a slide in shower unit installed in his rental house. I'm trying to get him to send me a photo of the job. He is frustrated it wasn't done well and he is having to Jerry Rig the drywall to fit. He is claiming poor workmanship on the install.

In the conversation where he is clearly frustrated he mentioned what he was charged. There were two guys started 9am. Worked until 4pm. Evidently a one day job. Dad was charged $2,300 for labor not including materials or the shower unit. He is very non confrontational and is ok chalking it up to experience. It infuriates me to maybe see him being taken advantage of.

Again not seen the work, not seen the invoice. He is getting up there in age and feels uncomfortable calling the company and asking questions. I may be out of line but is $160 per hour just a bit high? We are talking about Central Oregon, local plumber to the area.

Any advice from the professionals on the site is appreciated.

Thank you

Phil

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have found it is a Fool's errand to try to judge the cost of a job AFTER it is done, because we do not know any of the circumstances they might have encountered.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have found it is a Fool's errand to try to judge the cost of a job AFTER it is done, because we do not know any of the circumstances they might have encountered.

Very True.

I used to charge more just because of a customers bad attitude.

I gave most people on SS a break.

It all depends...

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
People are free to charge whatever they want. That being said, I wouldn't have charged the guy that much to install a shower, simply because I don't want to go to hell.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; That being said, I wouldn't have charged the guy that much to install a shower, simply because I don't want to go to hell.

What we do not know is if that job WAS one from hell. I am on SS and no one gives me a break so I don't either, or senior discounts for the same reason.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ, if you lived in my neighborhood and I did some work for you, I'd give you a discount. Not a Christian thing, not because you're a senior, but because you scare the s*** out of me. Plus, I admire your experience and knowledge. I get SS also. Pays the rent.

Reactions: Koa

firepilot

Reaction score
Interesting comments. Dad 's probably not a guy who would "deserve" to have the bad attitude factor priced in. HJ it is not an ideal situation trying to judge at all after the job what it was worth. Dad had asked for a quote and evidently one was not provided and for what ever reason the job commenced anyway. He is assuming the responsibility for allowing that to happen.

2 workman for 8 hrs doesn't sound like a nightmare job in my humble opinion. Regardless I'll do some more digging. Just hate to see a guy taken advantage of.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest asking them how they reached that figure.

16:00 - 9:00 is 7 hours.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I suggest asking them how they reached that figure.

16:00 - 9:00 is 7 hours.

Your calculator or keyboard is broke.

Do you think they will give a refund ?

Maybe they went to the Titty Bar for Lunch.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
500 bucks is a good day for me. Multiply x 2 makes a thousand. I don't see where the rest comes from. I expect aggravation and I factor that in. We do have a mom and pop business and we charge less than a lot of companies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks