Evaporator Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

DW85745

Reaction score
I've read and searched for over a year but never found an answer to this question.

Question:
1) When replacing a evaporator in a TXV heat pump, can a different manufacturers evaporator be used as long as it meets the BTU requirements of the OEM evaporator?
2) If so, if the OEM is an "A" frame, can an "N" frame be used if it meets the BTU requirements?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have to match up the refrigerant involved as the internal designs will differ. The air flow might be impacted, depending on the design and where it is located (like internal to an air handler verses in a duct) and the overall size and shape of the ducts involved.

Reaction score
If the evaporator is going to be new, you can use anything you want, as long as all the connector fittings are correct without any hacks. The technician will adjust the refridgerant accordingly.

The PROPER evaporator will optimize your energy consumption with good cfm airflow, fins easy to clean, etc. Just because you can fit anything in your furnace, doesn't mean you ought to.

DW85745

Reaction score
Thanks for inputs.

As said, been searching for awhile.
AHRI "supposedly" certifies OEM units but doesn't address retrofit. Whether that's because they are like the BBB and are funded by OEMs -- don't want to loose members -- is unknown.

I recognize the OEM has designed for various variables including air flow across coil, tube spacing, time for refrigerant to enter/exit coil, motor speed etc. I also recognize the OEM wants you to buy their parts. I'm guessing without doing some heavy duty testing one will never know what kind of efficiency (increase or decrease) by substituting someone elses coil. Being TXV, I'm guessing it should compensate for a lot of the variables "provided" both coils are rated the same BTU.

If any ASHRAE people are lurking would appreciate any technical input as what it would take -- where to get the info -- to compare two similar coils.

Reaction score
I've read and searched for over a year but never found an answer
This is what happens when people with NO experience READ too much. I strongly suggest you hire a professional.

A "not-so-ideal" evaporator won't make a compressor explode. The new "part" will still be better or exceed the 25 year old "part".

This is a retrofit for a HOUSE, not the Burj Khalifa in Dubai where every fractional joule is accounted for.

50 yrs ago, there wasn't a lot of standards, an hvac tech had to make whatever they were given, "fit", and do whatever it takes, silver sweating, hack and all.

Today, they are grateful for male and female fittings to fit out of the box, using just one wrench.

Good luck.

Last edited:

DW85745

Reaction score
This is what happens when people with NO experience READ too much. I strongly suggest you hire a professional.

FWIW I'm 608 and 608 certified. Have discussed this issue with a number of folks and never had what I consider a "REAL" answer to the problem. The industry just wants to be part swappers. With the increase in EPA SEER requirements a lot of problems have shown up over the last 20 years. Who ever heard of "anting" with a SEER 10 unit. The OEM says the replacement coil in a heat pump must be matched. I'm also sure they've gone through a lot of "jig" testing for their coils to get what they consider a match. However, if one can't get the coil, or the coil is through the roof $$$ wise, then a substitution needs to be made. How one determines what is the next closest "best" match is the question?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks