Estimate price too high?

Users who are viewing this thread

evilhomer1

Reaction score
Hi all, I plan to get a few more companies in to quote but the following estimate seems high to me.

Install high efficiency boiler
Install 45-gal indirect water heater
Wall mount boiler with direct vent through existing chimney via liner kit
two grills cut into closet to provide proper combustion air
all near boiler piping, controls and valves replaced
CO detectors installed as required
Fix a leak in existing baseboard
remove old boiler, water heater and debris

Cost = $10,500

I was also quoted $1800 to install an additional zone of heating in three rooms in my basement.

Thanks

Nolan

I am not a wise man.
Reaction score
It really depends on a lot of factors. For example, how difficult is it to remove the existing equipment?
How far away is the contractor? He has to pay his guys to drive to and from your location.
What is the equipment exactly? For all we know the equipment could be 80% of that quote depending on brand and type.
There could be a major amount of gas work that is required and that isn't cheap either.

evilhomer1

Reaction score
Thanks Nolan. Contractor is only about 15 min away, so hopefully that's not inflating the price too much.

The estimate does mention HTP EFT55PU condensing gas fired boiler with a 96% AFUE rating and a 45 gallon HTP SuperStor Ultra - Model SSU45.

For all I know, this could be fairly reasonable, which is why I'm going to get a couple other quotes, just curious what others thought.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT would be completely irresponsible to comment on their quote or try to give one, without seeing the actual installation site. Now, if it were already done, and there was no chance you would accept our quote, then we could undercut him as much as we wanted to.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is what it is, you either accept this bid or get more subs to bid. Just remember that the lowest bid is not always the best bid, and the highest bid is not always the worst bid.

Nolan

I am not a wise man.
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with getting a couple of quotes for the work, at least that way you can tell if someone is way off. But I agree with DJ2, usually you get what you pay for.

DewPoint

Reaction score
As others have suggested it is difficult if not irresponsible to comment on the price; instead, we might be able to help you determine if your quoted equipment is appropriate and help you feel better about the installer you choose.
  1. How did your installer decide on a 55,000 btuh boiler? Did the installer do a heat loss calculation with/without the new zone? This boiler is the small side of boilers, which is a good sign that your installer isn't over-selling you.
  2. Will you really benefit from a 96% efficiency boiler? If the installer plans to run 180 degree water for heating, the answer is no. Peak efficiency is only obtained with running cooler temperatures, and you can only run cooler temperatures if you have enough emitters (radiators, baseboards, etc). The heat loss calc is used to determine all this. If you don't need a condensing boiler then you could possibly save a little money by going with a different boiler but that may have its own drawbacks, such as being floor mount.
  3. Will the installer check the water quality?
  4. Will the installer perform a combustion analysis?
  5. Have you seen any before & after photos of his/her work?
Answering some of these questions will help put the quoted price in perspective. Finding a good installer is not always easy, and when you find one they are worth it.

evilhomer1

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the feedback. I agree that cheaper is not always best, I was just curious if it seemed reasonable for the work being done (assuming nothing unique).

I am going to do due diligence and get a couple other quotes to get a ballpark but this contractor came recommended so it's very possible you pay for quality.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
This is why I charge a "service call" of $200 to give a quote as my time is valuable and going to to a job site even around the corner takes time.

To replace a boiler for example I have to do a heat loss as I cannot assume the boiler already there is properly sized,

Also permits have to be filed such as an asbestos report and then removal of the old boiler putting in a concrete house keeping slab, making sure here is enough free air for proper combustion .

Just make sure the contractor is licensed and insured as the licenses are for your protection

sylvan-boiler-02.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks