Escutcheon under bathroom sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Strugglebrother, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Strugglebrother

Strugglebrother New Member

My plumber left our bathroom sink installation looking like this under...

[​IMG]

I obviously wanted the flange or escutcheon (is that what this is called?) to go flush against the wall like this

[​IMG]

He mentioned that he will look for a longer flange, but it's going slow. Now I wonder if there is such a thing as a longer flange? I think we need 3" and what he has there now is the standard 1.5". I have been googling but maybe I'm googling the wrong thing?

[​IMG]

Or what are his options, in this case, to make it look right? We ripped the whole bathroom out, and he had the sink and specs far ahead.

Any suggestions would be more than helpful!

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    my guess is that was a 2"x 4" wall and not a 2"x 6" wall. I've never seen a 3" deep escutcheon although their might be one out there.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    What the "plumber" should have installed is a BELL escutcheon extra long normally found in a decent plumbing supply

Or

Could have installed a plastic x female adapter with a shoulder nipple (preferably brass) closer inside the wall with just a shoulder nipple and a brass SJ nut

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  5. Strugglebrother

Is this something he can install now? Taking this apart and reinstall?

6. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

Yes if the plumber cannot locate an extra long bell type

Possibly a Mission coupling shielded IPS by Tubular

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    He used the WRONG fittings at the wall so they project out too far. Have him come back and redo it properly. He is not a very competent plumber if he doesn't know which fittings he needs.

8. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

Possibly using a mission Shielded coupling NOT fernco to slip over the plastic and then insert the tube inside it 11/2IPS x tubular

9. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

Or The "plumber" can buy a 2" wall hung toilet flush Ell and cut it as an extension to meet escutcheon rather then opening the wall . I hope he knows how to use a tubing cutter

[​IMG]

10. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Sylvan likes this.
  11. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

One of your tail pieces dont match either

Sylvan likes this.
  12. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

He did not have to stack all of that stuff up. I don't know what he was looking at, but if the was looking at a 2" x 2" x 1-1/2" DWV Sanitary Tee in the wall, a spigot trap adapter would have glued into that. That should have accepted the 1-1/4 trap arm.

If for some reason there was a 2" x 2" x 2" Sanitary Tee or 2 inch coupler (A in attached picture), he could have used a 2" x 1-1/2" DWV Bushing to reduce that, without sticking out.[​IMG] In fact, it looks like he used one-- marked with yellow line in the attached picture. It almost looks like a spigot trap adapter (C in picture) is glued into one of those, but it did not get inserted properly.
    [​IMG] That should insert into the bushing. https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-i...Street-Trap-Adapter-C580127HD112114/100344838
    I am wondering why that trap adapter is not slathered with ABS cement if the plumber was intending to insert it into the bushing.

I also suspect A could have been installed without it sticking out of the wall so far.

So how to rework? One idea would be to cut off the spigot trap adapter use a 1.5 inch Rambit/socket saver-type device to clear out the inside of the bushing, and put in a new spigot trap adapter, but this time push it all of the way in. That gains almost an inch, I would think. If only a tiny bit of the trap adapter is glued to (rather than into) the bushing, maybe that could even be pulled off without a tool. I am not a plumber, and my speculation is not based on experience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  13. Marlinman

Marlinman In the Trades

Reach4 likes this.
  14. Strugglebrother

Now I'm not a professional plumber so many of those things you are mentioning I have a hard time understanding.

The Sioux Trim seems to only be available in white and not in chrome, unfortunately.

It sounds to me that the wrong type of fittings or something was used if all escutcheons in the whole world are 1.5 inches deep. Then this should be redone to work with a 1.5-inch escutcheon?

Shouldn't the chrome pipe be longer and then a smaller fitting be used between the chrome pipe and the bigger PVC pipe in the wall? Chrome pipe is first 1.5 inches, then next fitting jumps to 2 inches (or even more due to those big grips on it), and then the black pvc pipe is about 2 3/4.

[​IMG]

All pictures I find of this sink have a longer chrome pipe

15. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

beautiful sink! you could stack the escutions or sylvan had a good fix . Ive been there done that . If he had the specs woulda been nice to rough in higher. but whos got time to look at and figure something out. a lot of times plumber has no idea whats going in or the height. but sounds like you provided. sorry to hear! hope it looks good when finished

Sylvan likes this.
  16. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts about the trap adapter shown in the bottom picture in post #1?

17. Mr tee

Mr tee In the Trades

I once made one out of a plastic domed cleanout cover.