Enterprise water heater age

Users who are viewing this thread

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
Anybody heard of an Enterprise Lime-I-Nator water heater? Trying to verify age of the heater. I think it is a 1989 model based off of serial number. Model KREX42D. Serial number 8906129356. If it’s truly that old I’m looking to replace it before it rusts out—however it shows no sign of rust or leaks anywhere. Any info or thought appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
My thought is no leak, no replace. This presumes it is not in a second story place. I am not a plumber.

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
My thought is no leak, no replace. This presumes it is not in a second story place. I am not a plumber.
Not in a second story place. But also not in a pan either. Copper piped with all sweated connections.
The only reason for thinking about replacing was that 2 or 3 times it wouldn’t put out hot water after running the water for 10 min. But went back to putting out water an hour later. Both BOLT IN elements resistance 12-13 ohms. Just wondering if it’s on the fritz.

Reach4

Reaction score
That's different. I had presumed that the age was the only "symptom". It may be limed up, and if you try to flush it, it may not flush out right. You could try.

It is also possible that the bottom element or bottom thermostat failed and only the top one works. That would cause only the top of the WH to have hot water.

Last edited:

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
That's different. I had presumed that the age was the only "symptom". It may be limed up, and if you try to flush it, it may not flush out right. You could try.

It is also possible that the bottom element or bottom thermostat failed and only the top one works. That would cause only the top of the WH to have hot water.
I thought it may be limed up too. I think the elements are ok but I did not test the thermostats. The anode rods have never been changed—the insulation around the hex heads were pristine. I thought about replacing them but was concerned I may break the hex head or the fitting after 30 yrs of heating cycles. Ive only owned the house the last 4yrs. Priced a Rheem 50 gallon for $350 at the supply house(not big box store) so will prob be replacing.
Gonna replace the shut off valve and possibly use copper flex connector hoses.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The thirty-year voyage of the Enterprise is over. The thermostats and elements are going to blow, captain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks