Enlarging stud holes for sillcock

Users who are viewing this thread

runderwo

Reaction score
When you have an outdoor sillcock that goes through holes in studs behind teh sheetrock, what is the best way to enlarge those stud holes so that the sillcock has room to move in case of settling? Using a jigsaw just makes a mess because there's not enough room between studs to get a square cut. (I'm imagining a 90 degree hole saw, though no such thing seems to exist.)

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
a long wood paddle bit

go find a long paddle wood bit
bigger than the present hole and simply
grind through the 2x4 to enlarge the hole

its about the only easy way

longShipAugerBit.jpg

Photo added by Terry​

Last edited by a moderator:

HughJazz

Reaction score
Are you going through a stud or a rim/band joist or is this inside on it's way to the hole going out. A stud should be oriented so that you'd be drilling through the narrow side and since it's an outdoor sillcock I would assume it's a load bearing stud and you cannot put a water line through the narrow side of a load bearing stud. If for some reason the stud is turned sideways or it's inside on the way to the exterior exit and is still on a load bearing wall you would have to consider notching and boring limitations, if you go to big with the hole it might require a stud shoe. The "proper" tool for drilling in those situations is a 90 angle drill or a 90 angle attachment that you can attach to your drill and use the bit of your choosing.

Right%20Angle%20Drill%20Attachment_t.jpg

da4000lr_l.jpg

runderwo

Reaction score
Geez, I didn't know a 90 degree extension existed. Yeah, they are load bearing studs, and the holes are cut through the face of the stud not the narrow part. I guess I'll have to check how big a hole I'm allowed to make.

CHH

Reaction score
Do you really want a bigger hole in the stud or in the outer sheathing and siding? It'd be a heck-of-a-lot easier and just use a cover plate to hide the extra hole size...

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Bithing my thongue....bithing my thongue...the thopic thust beckons me for off-color humor...gonna be gud...bithing my thongue.

runderwo

Reaction score
Well, the way the house is settling, the outer stud has moved relative to the next outermost one. That caused the sillcock to be "pinched" between the two studs. Same thing happened in the front, which actually damaged the sillcock beyond repair. Knocking out more brick is necessary but insufficient because the pinching is between the two studs... if that makes sense.

Edit: No, it's not exactly what happened in the front, brain not working this morning. In the front it was pinched between the brick and the outermost stud. Here in the back, it's pinched between the two studs. I guess there was either more settling in the back, or the hole in the outermost stud was smaller than in the front.

Last edited:

CHH

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense runderwo. It sounds like the situation is the sillcock and pipe penetrates a built-up column (made of 2x4s) in an exterior wall where that wall "T's" or "L's" into another wall. An interior wall would make a "T" and an exterior wall would make an "L". Now one or more of the 2x4's has shifted and is causing a problem. Of course, the built-up column shouldn't have shifting members if it was laced together properly but knowing that doesn't really solve the problem.

Depending on the age of the house, it could be done shifting. One solution might be to just run a bit through the current holes to re-establish the original hole diameter, inline, through all studs. If the house isn't done shifting, I don't know what to think about the situation.

runderwo

Reaction score
If it's not done shifting then I have to get it piered :( I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it is in fact done shifting though. That all depends on what I do about the soil drainage and how the weather treats me. I guess it would make sense to just re-establish the original hole all the way through and see how that works out in the end... thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks