Enlarging A Supply Line Hole

Users who are viewing this thread

Ess Kay

Reaction score
Our bathroom has a lot of plumbing noise (not water hammer) due to how the supply lines were installed. (See attached pic) The hole is just big enough for the pipe to go thru, making for easy noise transfer.

While remodeling, I want to enlarge some existing holes and install a plastic pipe clamps that will help isolate the noise. Unfortunately the pipe passes thru a finished ceiling.

How can I enlarge the hole surrounding the existing supply pipe in order to allow room to slip in a pipe clamp?

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 190

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is that copper? Get an oscillating cutting tool and and cut a square hole around the pipe. You should be able to reach the plywood subfloor and cut through that. I would cut flush against the stud first. You want to place a bracket or clamp above the floor plate.

Practice on scrap wood to learn how the tool handles and have plenty of blades. You don’t want to nick the pipe and cause a leak. There are a lot of YouTube videos on the tool.

Last edited:

Ess Kay

Reaction score
Yes that is copper. Many thanks, WorthFlorida. I'll look into it. Appreciate the advice on practice and extra blades! Gulp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks