Emergency pump recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

TequilaMB

Reaction score
We currently have a Liberty Sump Pump in our Sump basin, plus an additional battery backup pump on standby. However, we thought it might be a good idea (since our basement is partially finished) to have an emergency pump on hand - an electrically operated one that would sit on the basement floor next to the sump crock, and pump water out through an independent line to the outdoors in the event of catastrophic main pump failure. This would give us time to change out the primary pump in a time when the basin is filling rapidly - too rapidly to do so without the basin overflowing. It can't be a water-powered pump, since we are on well water. We can't put a second electrically operated pump in the basin, since there isn't room.

Can you recommend a type and/or brand of pump that would suit this need - preferably something affordable. I don't even know exactly what to call this type of pump. All my searches for "emergency water pump" result in advertisements for battery backup systems - which is what we have already.

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had this same problem for years in the spring of the year the water gush's in my sump pit. Your normal home owner sump pump wouldn't last. Battery backup ones couldn't keep up. The Zoeller lasted about the best but all the cycling would take out the switch. I installed a AMT brand pump not cheap but it has lasted. So I still needed some backup. I finally bit the bullet so to speak and dug up the basin and installed a larger one and now have two AMT pumps and put one on a UPS power back up system. Ten years later the first AMT is still going and I check the one on the UPS system once a month. This wasn't a cheap fix but I pump a lot of water in a year. My sump pumps runs year around and a bunch in the spring.

Reach4

Reaction score
Gasoline adds some extra reduncancy. Depends on what you call affordable. These are premium.

If you could put a cheap 4 inch pump (such as Halmark) into the sump manually, that could pump maybe 15 gpm into pressure. You would need a pretty deep sump for that.

If you would have 12 volts DC, you could look at bilge pumps.

Ray Foulkes

Reaction score
We currently have a Liberty Sump Pump in our Sump basin, plus an additional battery backup pump on standby. However, we thought it might be a good idea (since our basement is partially finished) to have an emergency pump on hand - an electrically operated one that would sit on the basement floor next to the sump crock, and pump water out through an independent line to the outdoors in the event of catastrophic main pump failure. This would give us time to change out the primary pump in a time when the basin is filling rapidly - too rapidly to do so without the basin overflowing. It can't be a water-powered pump, since we are on well water. We can't put a second electrically operated pump in the basin, since there isn't room.

Can you recommend a type and/or brand of pump that would suit this need - preferably something affordable. I don't even know exactly what to call this type of pump. All my searches for "emergency water pump" result in advertisements for battery backup systems - which is what we have already.
I would recommend a second sump pit alongside the first, with a mains pump set slightly higher than your existing primary pump. That way the higher pump will take over in the case of a primary pump failure. Of course this will only work whilst you have a live supply of electricity, if there is a power outage neither pump will work.

You can extend the pumping time of a battery back up pump by attaching more than one battery together, but take advice from your battery supplier as there is a right and a wrong way to do this. You can also install a generator to help you through a power outage.

Let me know if you need any further help.
Ray

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks