Eljer Toilet Without Siphon Jet

Users who are viewing this thread

richard123vmt

Reaction score
I bought an Eljer toilet at a recycle place but when I got it home I noticed it has no siphon jet. The toilet works, at least so far, but I think not as intended. It has three major holes under the front of the rim and a number of minor holes along the sides. In use, the water crashes straight down from the major holes upsetting the bowl contents, but then flushes it down. (It has not so far had any really challenging contents). The minor holes emit streams but there is no swirling action whatsoever.
It happens that I once before tried an Eljer which had a removable plastic piece under the rim which channeled the water to the right. Of course no one wants to remove and clean a piece like that but it did create a mighty flush. That was 10 years ago--also a used, therefore older, toilet. If I had remembered in time I would not have bought an Eljer--at least not without a siphon jet.
What I would like to know is whether I have inadvertantly gotten an Eljer toilet which came with such a plastic piece and if the part is available? It is a two piece toilet with elongated bowl and no other marking that have found except the Eljer badge. My question is whether I am right about the missing piece or is this the way the toilet is supposed to work?

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Does your Eljer have a short inverted "U" trapway? If so, you got one of the better toilets made, one that I find superior to a Toto. Just my opinion, though. It is unlikely that that that would be the model I have in mind, though, since you say that there is no water swirl. At work our Eljers are stamped 1.28gpf inside the tank. What does yours say?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There were plenty of washdown Eljer bowls sold as "competitive" products for new homes.
Competitive meaning, it's as good as you're going to get with my matching low bid to do your work.
We pull those bowls all the time. People sell them? I pay to dispose of them.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Richard,

Due to the drought in CA you [may] want to consider a new 1.28gpf toilet. See if your town offers any rebates. I'm surprised that CA doesn't mandate that all toilets must be 1.28g maximum and that any toilet larger than 1.6gpf has to be replaced.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Wallijohn: They do do the first with regard to new installs (or equivalent dual flush), but haven't yet resorted to the second.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is no way they could "mandate" that older toilets HAD to be replaced. I have never seen any toilet with a "removable" plastic piece INSIDE the bowl.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
There is no way they could "mandate" that older toilets HAD to be replaced.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/23/low-flow-toilets-required_n_3800061.html

Anything that needs a permit (windows need permits in CA?) mandates that the whole house must have low flow toilets, faucets and shower heads. House can't be sold without the new standard.

In my town a permit is necessary if a hot water heater is installed. If CA did the same thing then they'd have full compliance in under 7 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks