Eljer Pro 1 vs E-Force

Users who are viewing this thread

Macman

Reaction score
New Years greetings everyone! I've been researching toilets and have accumulated a lot of good information, including that which is available here. In that process I've found a lack of good explanation for the difference between the Eljer Titan "Pro 1" and "E-Force" flushing systems. Even the Eljer site doesn't explain the difference. I do know that the Titan 091-0777 (good recommendation here) uses the Pro 1, but there are other Titans with very good reviews that use the E-Force. To my understanding these are both normal gravity feed. Can anyone explain the difference to me, and if you have any knowledge of comparisons, which is "best? " I know that's a relative term. Many thanks.

Dave

titan_front2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CarlH

Reaction score
It looks as though the E-Force lacks a siphon jet. If you look at the Eljer web page for each there is a link on the right for the catalog page. The catalog page gives a bulleted list of "features". Also, there a document for the E-Force:

Sorry, I saw nothing for the Pro-1 and I have no experience with Eljer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So I assume a siphon jet is a good thing? I'm not positive what a siphon jet does. I'm thinking that it's the trick of forcing water below the tank to "pull" the contents of the tank out?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Eljer quality is going downhill FAST FAST FAST....

I recently installed 3 Bone Eljer toilets
for a customer .....Patriots..

they flush great but

the quality was poorley lacking ...

two of them had blemishes in the bowl that
would appear to be something sitting down in
bowl... that does not impress people at all.....

the third bowl was literally about at least a 1/2 inch
off level and appeared to be leaning way to the left.....

my guys installed them without me there to inspect
them and the customer was so pissed off that he
stopped payment on the check that very day......

Also note......
The tank does not bolt down good to the toilet
you must use an extra set of bolts
and washers to secure the bolts to the tank before
setting the tank on the bowl or it will leak in time

the bolts will work themselves loose and the water will
start to drip through the washers....
almost had water damage because of this too
but it was on the first floor

anyway, I had to go back that evening
and fix the leaking toilet with extra nuts and washers
to hold the bolts solid in place and then I did that
to the other two of them upstairs just to be sure of no
future problems

that was wednesday before x-mas and I told the
fellow we would worry about this whole matter after the holidays....

I called my Eljer rep to tell them what poor quality junk
they are putting out right now too........

I hope that this fellow will accept the 3 toilets for maybe
1/3 of the price and Eljer gives me a refund so I dont have
to do the work twice and waste another day
fooling with it....

at this point the guy wants to go buy something
from the hardware stores and have me take those
out and warranty some other junk......

.to save me all the time and aggravation,

Perhaps I will just give them to him for free
and then choke the ELJER rep for the money......

we wait and see...

Last edited:

Macman

Reaction score
I don't know what a Bone toilet is, but it's an interesting account. I wonder if these quality problems apply to all Eljers, or just to the Patriot line? I'm just gathering information right now, but at a minimum if I would decide to go with an Eljer it looks like I would have to be very careful about what I accept. I know there's a lot of good reports on Toto, but no one sells them in my region and I'm not willing to pay $100 shipping. Thanks for the info, but can you shed any light on my original questions?

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
e-fprce..

a bone toilet is meant to mean
"off white" in color..like biscut....

The toilet has a full 2 inch trap in it like
the old ones used to have....

according to the link that I just read
they have set up the water jets to swirl in
such a way to produce superior flushing
with useing only 1.6 gallons per flush

But To make this brand of of toilet work best ,
you either have to hold the handle down though
the whole flush to keep the flapper from slamming
down half way through the flush

or you do like I have had
to do

resort to changeing out the
flappers to common flappers you get
at any hardware store...to get a fantastic flush

it really depends on wether you are looking
for a toilet that will only 1.6 gallons

or one that roars out and
flushes out like the old stlye ones used to do..

Last edited:

Macman

Reaction score
Thank you Mark. From your description it sounds like the tank must contain more than the 1.6 gallons, and that purchasing a different flapper allows the flush to continue as if you held the handle down. An interesting option. I'll continue to look around.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you are missing the point....the goal of requiring new water saving toilets is to actually save water. If you override their design on a poorly designed toilet, you're lying to yourself and wasting money and resources. Many of the manufacturers still have failed to do the design required to make a toilet work well with the mandated max flow. Those companies with a global reach seem to have a better handle on this (most of the US brands are not sold overseas), because there are a bunch of places where there just isn't a lot of water...the things have to work well.

While it is definitely best to buy things like toilets locally, I've had good luck buying them on-line. Some places package them better than others, but it is still risky.

Macman

Reaction score
Not really sure if you're referring to me or Mark, Jim, but I do understand the point. Mark was basically telling me that Eljer has issues and that if I was to insist on purchasing one then there were workarounds. One thing that has become apparent to me from my research is that different models can get completely different ratings within the Eljer lineup. For example, there are a lot of Titan toilets but some have so-so performance and others are much better. I noticed that the 091-0777 has received some excellent reviews in a reasonably priced unit, but other very similar looking Titans with the same technology design don't do well. Not sure why. This is the first that I've heard of quality issues, and will take that into consideration.

On a side note, I just went through an experience in shipping a heavy object that I don't want to repeat. I wanted a safe (125 lbs) that I could not purchase locally. I had read horror stories about damages in shipment on these, but after exhausting all other options I decided to take a chance. Sure enough, when I received it one corner had been bashed in. It's just not worth the hassle to me, and not worth the extra money. I don't know what the normal distribution area is for TOTO, but I'm assuming western U.S. I know they don't get sold by Ohio retailers. Too bad because it sounds like they make a good product.

Macman

Reaction score
Yep, sure did Jim. It came back with "No dealers have been found in your zip area." However, it also says "you may contact our representative serving that region" and gives a number, which I did not do. I'll do that tomorrow and see what they say. If I come up with a dealer within a reasonable distance I'll be back here to talk TOTO with you folks. Thanks.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
eljer is sold everywhere

Eljer is sold everywhere...in the midwest...so it tOTO

you will be ok with Eljer
as long as you check out
the toilet before you take it home
...look for defects...

I never have had a compalint about flushing ....

home depot and about everyone else is carrying them

that might be why the quality had gone to hell....

they sell them to just about anyone ......

I was disapointed that what I got from a plumbing
supply house was really no better than what
you can get at Home Depot...

If the truth be known...

its probably made in china now
by slave labor .. to keep the price down

I am sort of getting the feeling that
they dont give a damn about keeping their
plumbing contractors happpy

wait and see what happens with my disgruntled
customer...

honestly though,
Ultimately ....
you are really only takeing a crap here on
whatever toilet you buy......

I think you might be over-doing it
a little with all the technical info you are
looking into.....

remember .....its only a toilet.....

Last edited:

Macman

Reaction score
So if I find a TOTO dealer within a reasonable distance do you have any suggestions or cautions regarding TOTO toilets? I'm not out to buy the cheapest toilet around. Performance is important. But I'm not willing to spend $1000 either. I would hope to find a good unit in the $350 - $400 range. Are there certain models in the TOTO line that are known to be better than others, without getting too carried away price-wise?

Achutch

Reaction score
Personal experience with TOTO

Hello Macman,

I am a consumer and not a professional. I have not seen an Eljer Titan except over the Internet, and my only experience with E-Force has been very limited and has not been subjected to my own "rigorous testing".

I am a satisfied owner of a TOTO Drake ADA height model which has been in place for over 2 years. During this time, it has never clogged. The quality of both the tank and bowl are first rate with no warpage of the bowl base or tank lid. I have had no mechanical problems with any of the tank parts, nor have I had any leaks.

The Drake is also within your price range.

Read Terry's Toilet Report and the user reviews of the Drake. I bought mine based on all of the above and have not been sorry.

I would recommend the Drake to anybody without hesitation.

achutch

Macman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info achutch. Your comments are consistent with everything I've read. I called TOTO this mornng and found that the closest retailer to me is about 75 miles away. Not sure if the difference would be worth the trip or not. I would have to borrow a vehicle to do this.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
remember .....its only a toilet.....
Master Plumber Mark

It may be only a toilet, but I wouldn't waste my time if the results were so bad myself.

I like to install em and forget em.

Kohler Almond, American Standard Bone, Toto Bone

Kohler Biscuit, American Standard Linen, Toto Sedonia Beige

Macman

Reaction score
Follow-up

I found a Toto wholesaler in Columbus (90 miles), and by using some family connections was able to purchase a Drake. It will make the trip this weekend. My thanks to those who answered, or attempted to answer my questions.

Achutch

Reaction score
A Wise Choice!

Congratulations, Macman by choosing the TOTO Drake.

The inconvenience of a 90 mile trip and spending some extra money will be worth it in the long run. You will have a toilet that WORKS, and is of high quality. And, if you should ever need them, replacement parts like the red G-Max flapper are readily available.

You won't be disappointed.

achutch

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks