Eliminating BYPASS function on Autotrol Softener ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Galaxieman

Reaction score
My system: Autotrol Series 255 Valve with Logix 740 controller

I would like to completely defeat the BYPASS function on my water softener.

In normal operation the Autotrol sends untreated water to the house during regen.

When regen is in progress I want NO water to be available to the house.

One way this might be accomplished is by cutting off the 'bypass lobe' from the cam, so that the bypass valve is never opened.

My question: Will this work? Will all other functions in regen operate normally with the BYPASS valve always closed?

Thanks,

Galaxieman

Reach4

Reaction score
It sure looks like it to me. That would be valve #4 of the 255.

I think you would be able to modify the flapper instead of removing the lobe, as an alternative. If you wanted to restore the bypass function, a flapper might be cheaper or easier to find than a cam.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A no hard water bypass cam is available. Technically UPC code says you cant do this but if you are on a well then the decision is basically up to you. Residential applications that do not have water pressure can exacerbate cross contamination issues that would usually not be possible in a system that is always pressurized, so goes the logic of UPC on this issue. Cutting the cam works fine,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks