Electrical to Shed Help

Users who are viewing this thread

pcarpe01

Reaction score
I plan on running 10/2 UVF cable from a sub-panel for a 20A dedicated circuit to power my shed. It is 10/2 due to the distance from the sub-panel to the shed. I am planning on a 20A fusible disconnect at the shed and since I am using direct burial, the trench will be 24" deep. The location where the cable would exit the house is insulated - covered with drywall and above grade (it is actually the garage). I have the following questions:

- Does the disconnect on the shed need to be inside or outside? is there a preference or requirement?

- How do I make the connection to the inside of the house - LB or similar? I am planning for a short run of PVC conduit to get the cable into the ground - 24".

Thank you in advance.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
10/2 is overkill. How long is the run? What is planned for this circuit? Just lights and an outlet or two? A disconnect is not needed.

A disconnect can be anywhere and be reachable, usually about six feet (I’m not home to check my NEC book) near the equipment that requires a disconnect such as an air conditioner compressor unit. With a 20 amp breaker at the panel will do the job. Good practice is not to have two breakers in a row of the same value.

If you go with a 10/2 and want to use a fused disconnect, use a 30 amp breaker at the panel, then a 20 or 15 amp fused disconnect. The disconnect must be in an approved housing for its location. All outlets in the garage must be GFCI protected behind a 15 or 20 amp breaker.

Any exposed location where the cables can be impacted such as where it comes up from the ground must be in metal or PVC Schedule 80 conduit.
https://www.familyhandyman.com/electrical/wiring/how-to-bury-underground-cable/

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
" Does the disconnect on the shed need to be inside or outside? is there a preference or requirement?"
It could be in or out, just like A/C condenser. Just make sure water can't get inside.

Reaction score
It depends on what you want to do with the power once you get to the shed. Around here (in Georgia) we use the use the 2017 version of the NEC (and I suspect the 2020 version very soon). I found you can either run a no larger than 20A GFCI feeder circuit over UF-B wire buried 12" deep to the shed and it would still need a cutoff of some sort (could be a light switch). For few extra dollars, I ran conduit (only needing to be 18" deep), #6 THHN-2/THWN-2 wires (4 of them) and put in a 240V subpanel (had to add the panel, circuit breakers and grounding rods) and have two circuits, one for 20A outlets and one for 15A lights -- and still have capacity for additional circuits if I want to. The #6 wire was due to the distance (about 100' for me). Overkill? Certainly. Experience gained and flexibility for the future - Priceless!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks