Electric wire all 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo422

Reaction score
My brother just called me. Here the problem,,,, new dishwasher ,he at work his wife decided she would install it.
She turned the power off ,disconnect the wiring , put all 3 wires together in 1 wire nut ,turned the electric back on ,
Her husband Joe came home found the wiring welding together, he cut the welded wires apart put a wire nut on each one.what damage could this cause

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
My brother just called me. Here the problem,,,, new dishwasher ,he at work his wife decided she would install it.
She turned the power off ,disconnect the wiring , put all 3 wires together in 1 wire nut ,turned the electric back on ,
Her husband Joe came home found the wiring welding together, he cut the welded wires apart put a wire nut on each one.what damage could this cause
The breaker should have opened the circuit before the wires welded together.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A little knowledge can be dangerous! No knowledge can be disastrous!

A circuit breaker needs to see its current capacity exceeded, and often for a moment, before it trips. Now, that time is short, but it doesn't take long to weld the wires together! That current can momentarily exceed the rating when there's a direct short. If the current being drawn is very near the spec, if the circuit is on for a long time, it may also trip which is one reason why there's an 80% rule for some devices on the size of the wiring and protection circuits.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you happen to get a screwdriver across some hot wires, it's not at all uncommon for the arc to take a chunk out of the shaft of the screwdriver prior to the breaker popping - steel melts at a higher temp than copper...wiring the hot and neutral together then closing the breaker can produce a huge surge prior to the breaker tripping. On a time scale, the time is very short, but think about spot welding something...only on for a moment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks