Electric Water Heater Thermostat Burned Up

Users who are viewing this thread

Grumpypuffin

Reaction score
About 10 days ago, my electric hot water got really hot, then cold, then the breaker shut off power. I reset, next day the red button tripped on the thermostat. I pulled the lower element, and it was bad, replaced, and worked fine. A couple days ago, my hot water is gone, and turns out the red button tripped on the thermostat. I then notice the plastic cover over the thermostat is melted up. I pull that and see the thermostat has clearly overheated. I replaced the thermostat and the upper element. All works fine for a full day. I am not just a little concerned b/c I can still smell warm plastic around the thermostat. The thermostat and white shield are warm when i touch them, but not going to melt warm. So not sure if the smell is from the new thermostat or the old insulation around the thermostat maybe just smelling b/c it is warmed up a little. Just want to make sure that thermostat is ok/normal to be a little warm before i seal this back up. Any thoughts?

20200416_095018.jpg 20200416_095033.jpg 20200416_144858.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could have a wiring issue. Warm may be normal, fried is not.
Call an electrician to check the wires.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks