Electric water heater stand question

Users who are viewing this thread

aGrandma

Reaction score
I live in Sacramento, CA and need to replace an electric water heater that's in the garage. The stand the old one is on is wooden and it got wet and is rotten. Since it's electric, do I need to replace it with another wooden one, or can I buy steel or aluminum/metal one? I wonder if having metal would not pass code?

Also I've been told that an electric water heater doesn't even have to be on a stand, it can just be on the garage floor. Is that correct? And if that's true, the current connections won't reach it. Is it better to put the new one on a stand and have the existing connections reach it, or have it on the floor and have the installer extend the connections to reach the top of the water heater?

Lastly, is there a trick to building a wooden one? Is there a kit or something? In the stores I've only seen the metal ones and they're about $50.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the water heater is in a location where a car could run into it, then it needs to be on as stand. IF not, or if it has pipe "bollards" in front of it, then it does not. The new gas heaters are the same way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks