Electric water heater in kitchen cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

jackbrad

Reaction score
Is it permitted to place a water heater inside a kitchen cabinet? I have a large kitchen cabinet that is unused and it would be a great place to store our water heater.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it permitted to place a water heater inside a kitchen cabinet? I have a large kitchen cabinet that is unused and it would be a great place to store our water heater.
yes no problem just gotta follow code combustion air, relief valve termination, drain pans stuff like that

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Why are gas heaters being discussed given the OP asked about electric? Depending on how a gas heater gets combustion air, one may have to ensure it gets enough air so not just clearances.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
originaly I accidently had writen an answer missing that it was clearly electric. I included COMBUSTION AIR, and CLEARANCES . Whats your excuse for talking about gas heaters ?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
originaly I accidently had writen an answer missing that it was clearly electric. I included COMBUSTION AIR, and CLEARANCES . Whats your excuse for talking about gas heaters ?

Now, now, lets all play nice and all try to get along....

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The water heater needs to have access to the water connections, electrical connections, the heating elements and the t&p. The temperature and pressure relief valve needs to be piped to a a proper drain or to the outdoors properly. It should sit in a pan with an alarm in case it leaks since its in a location that won't be readily visible for regular inspection.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
The water heater needs to have access to the water connections, electrical connections, the heating elements and the t&p. The temperature and pressure relief valve needs to be piped to a a proper drain or to the outdoors properly. It should sit in a pan with an alarm in case it leaks since its in a location that won't be readily visible for regular inspection.

you are taking all the fun out of installing a water heater buried under a sink...

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
you are taking all the fun out of installing a water heater buried under a sink...

Yes its fun..
I have had to take a sawzall and cut out the whole kitchen cabinet before just to get the 40 gallon electric heater out of the space... of course it had been leaking into the crawl space for years and was sunk a few inches into the floor

We put down some new plywood over the rotten floor for support and then
it was someone else's problem to rebuild the kitchen after we destroyed the place to get them hot water

sajesak

Reaction score
The water heater needs to have access to the water connections, electrical connections, the heating elements and the t&p. The temperature and pressure relief valve needs to be piped to a a proper drain or to the outdoors properly from Maine Cabinet Company. It should sit in a pan with an alarm in case it leaks since its in a location that won't be readily visible for regular inspection.
Hello, I want to refinish my kitchen cabinets . It has a lacquer finished and 20 years old. Since the cabinets are in place, so what finish I could go over on top of the lacquer as I am trying to avoid the fumes from the lacquer. Thanks for your advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks