Electric Meter

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok, I get a bill for $9 & change from the electric company for my last months bill. Obviously that doesn't sound right and I have somewhat questioned my meter's accuracy before. So I call the electric company and ask them if that is indeed correct. The lady says it only shows 12KilaWatts of power used for the month, which is very low, but she says the billing dept accepted this. She told me they can come back out and re-read the meter, but if found correct, I will get a $10 charge for this, if not correct as we both suspect, there is no charge.

Well, I obvioulsy don't want to be on the hook for another $10, so I ask what the options are at this point. She says we can wait until Nov bill and it may even things out if it was an incorrect read.

My question is what if their meter isn't reading correctly? I've had a few people tell me they've known people with faulty meters and they get hit with guestimated bills. I obviously don't want this. Anyone have any experience with this? Like I said, I called the electric company and they don't seem concerned....

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Up the ante.

Get it in writing that you have notified them of the problem and their response. Then at least you'll have something to fall back on if they try and get nasty. But when you do start asking for something in writing, then tend to act a little more quickly so don't be surprised if it gets sorted before you do get anything in writing.

Start by writing them a letter outlining your concerns...that normally works because they will feel obliged to write back or get someone to contact you personally to sort the problem out.

I had a similar but unrelated problem with my gas shut-off valve on my meter. I was worried it was rusted open (and I did not have a shut off valve on my HWH at the time). I phoned them many times but was never in when the gas people came out (they never gave a day/time) so they always said that they had inspected it and it looked fine. Everytime I checked it, it did not look like it had been moved.

So I wrote them a letter and said I was telling my insurance company. I then had a guy from the gas company phone me personally and arrange to meet with me at home at the time of my choosing. He came out there, showed me the valve still worked, and everything is now fine. I never did get a written reponse from them though.

Last edited:

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Up the ante.

Get it in writing that you have notified them of the problem and their response. Then at least you'll have something to fall back on if they try and get nasty. But when you do start asking for something in writing, then tend to act a little more quickly so don't be surprised if it gets sorted before you do get anything in writing.

Start by writing them a letter outlining your concerns...that normally works because they will feel obliged to write back or get someone to contact you personally to sort the problem out.
QUOTE]

I wonder who I'd send that to. A buddy recommended writing on the check that by endorsing the check they agree all bills are paid in full. Not sure that helps much, but....

I will definately keep notes on this and with my phone system, I can go back and show proof the call took place. That with the lady's name, I should have some sort of recourse.

My fear about pushing them too far is that I have heard that when they find a defective meter they bill the home owner for a guesstimated amount. Maybe I'll call the Kansas Utilities Commision to ask them how to proceed and see what my rights are.... I don't need them going back on me, especially after I notify them!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
You don't send letters with the check. There is a separate customer service department. The address is normally on their website.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
My fear about pushing them too far is that I have heard that when they find a defective meter they bill the home owner for a guesstimated amount. Maybe I'll call the Kansas Utilities Commision to ask them how to proceed and see what my rights are.... I don't need them going back on me, especially after I notify them!

The guesstimate is usually an average of previous months or sometimes the year before (to account for weather). I would tuck aside the money you normally paid on the bill...one way or the other, they will get your money. ;)

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The guesstimate is usually an average of previous months or sometimes the year before (to account for weather). I would tuck aside the money you normally paid on the bill...one way or the other, they will get your money. ;)

Ain't that the truth!! :mad:

I just called the KCC and spoke with a gentleman there to see what my rights kind of where. Of course he suggested getting this taken care of immediately. He explained that they will look back at a previous bill in order to figure the useage. He said they have the right to bill 100% of a previous bill. Somehow that seems wrong!! It's their equipment, yet if it breaks I get screwed!

What I wonder is, how many months of a low bill before they would notice??!! Last month was about $70, which seemed a bit low, but I looked back at last year about this time and had a $70 bill, so that seems about right. Hmm....

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Just save up a few bucks and if they read it wrong this time, they'll get it right next time.

If it's reading low they have no way to tell what you actually used so figure it as money in your pocket. If they want to collect the full amount in the future, they'll swap it on their own.

Your utility company has customers with bills in the thousands, tens of or hundreds of thousands per month. They don't care about 'sticking it to you' for $50/month. You did your due diligence by calling them. I'd let it go...

Jason

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
From what I hear they do care. I have talked with at least two people who have or know someone who has gotten stuck with a balloon bill from the electric company going back on them for a faulty meter.

At this point, I have contacted them and the Kansas Utilities Commision. If they still fail to do anything, and I get a huge bill later on down the road, you bet I'd fight it!!

Lakee911

Reaction score
From what I hear they do care. I have talked with at least two people who have or know someone who has gotten stuck with a balloon bill from the electric company going back on them for a faulty meter.

At this point, I have contacted them and the Kansas Utilities Commision. If they still fail to do anything, and I get a huge bill later on down the road, you bet I'd fight it!!

Well, that's why it's always safe to tuck away a few bucks. I don't see how you couldn't win if it's a faulty meter and you reported it and they did nothing. I mean they don't know what you used. Maybe you were gone on vacation for months on end or maybe your space heaters, toasters and hair dryers and stove and dryer were all left on for weeks.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
it only shows 12KilaWatts of power used for the month,
12 kwh for 720 hrs is 16 W all the time. Normal is ~ 1 kw.

You got somebody else's bill, and they got yours.

Check your own meter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_meter
Put a 100w bulb on and see how fast the wheel rotates using the 7.2 formula in
"Reading electromechanical meters"
or leave it on 10 hrs and read 1 kwh.

Last edited:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd wait a month and see if it was a mis read. I've had it happen to me. If its low again mail them a certified letter stating the problem, when you called, and their response. Also mail yourself a copy of the same letter and don't open it. Your butt will be 100% covered.

They will either check it or they won't but it won't be your problem anymore. Its their equipment, you notified them of the potential problem and that is where your responsibility ends.

And yes they can estimate bills in some circumstances, but "we were notified about a potential faulty meter but were too lazy to go check it unless the customer paid us to" probably won't hold up well in court. I wouldn't worry about the estimated bill applying to you as long as you notified them.

-rick

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well, they were out this morning and replaced the meter with a digital one.

Not that I necessarily wanted them to come out and replace a faulty meter that was only charging me $9 a month, but on the same hand I'd rather pay for what I use, than what they feel I may have used when they finally figure it out!

Not sure what they'll come back at me with as far as oweing them, but the utilities commission stepped in and they were out to my place in less than 24hrs. About 4-5 business hours! There is no charge for the visit or the replaced meter. I am hoping because I stepped up called them when something definately appeared wrong and didn't take a wait and see attitude as they suggested I do, that it will come back to benefit me.

We'll see....

***maybe I need to go out of town and shut everything down for a week or two and tell them, see I haven't been using much!!!:rolleyes:***

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
A few years ago I installed a woodstove and TURNED OFF my natural gas at the meter. Two months later I received a natural gas bill for $90. I looked at the meter and the dials were not turning. It was still off. The next day it had the same reading.

So I called the gas company and said I used 0 gas, so why the bill?

It turns out they only read the meter every other month and guess as to the in-between months.

So in your case, they may have guessed too high for last month, then read it for real with your current bill.

Might want to learn to read an electric meter. And look at your bill and it should say about when they read your meter.

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.glps.net/meterread.htm

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
They come every month. I hear the dogs bark, so I look and see them walking away.

With the digital meter, it should be much easier to keep track of....

Lakee911

Reaction score
Ya...I've had the gas bills be HIGH, low, HIGH and low when they estimate and then read ... Never considered that though here...

I want a digital meter... :( I think...

My meter is actually going to be relocated from the house to then back of the garage (in a dark alley). I'm afraid someone will come by with a baseball bat just for fun.... then we won't be reading or estimating.... :(

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Unless they walk past it every day and bang their arm on it, that will not happen. There are so many better things out there to whack with a baseball bat...like a meter that is giving bad readings...

Bloody hooligans.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
We were updated to a digital meter too - wireless....they just drive down the street & car computer reads the meter....guy never gets out

My last house the estimated my use...at over 6x what I use in a month
Winter I used $30-40 for heat ( I used wood mostly), hw, stove & dryer
Other times I used maybe $10-15...they sent me a bill for 6 months use
I paid $30 & refused to pay the rest
It took them 6 months to straighten out the error...each month I paid $15
Finally a supervisor was involved & straightened it out
She had some choice words for the "idiots" that were unable to add/subtract simple meter readings
She also added in a note that Customer heats with wood

I did receive a ~$5 bill one month here...never was a problem
Due to pool, AC, hot tub etc my bill can be $30+/- each month
I do track the bills & each year they are around the same per month

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks