Electric Baseboard Heater and Flood .. YAY

Users who are viewing this thread

schvindlaar

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question ..
we experienced a small basement flood, and our expensive, rather long electric baseboard heaters stopped working.
Breaker is fine, I realize buying new is an option, but not on our budget.
are they salvageable?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hard to say. If it say had a quartz element and was on when the water hit, it probably fractured. If not, it may just be corrosion. But, as long as the body of the thing is intact, you should be able to rebuild it. Now, whether that labor would end up being cheaper than replacement, and, whether there are still replacement parts available, that's harder to say. If there were electronics in there, they may be fried. It may just need a good cleaning and reassembly...can't say without seeing it. IF there's a contactor, all it may take is replacing that. Was the thermostat submerged?

schvindlaar

Reaction score
good day sir, thank you for the advice ..
yes it was on, we were not home, it has a dial thermostat on the baseboard ..
I did have an electrician come look at it, but kept his back to me, and i have this weird feeling that he was lying to me ..
his tester would beep when testing the wires, even after i turned the breaker off .. nope dont trust him at all
I served also, 18th service batallion thunder bay ontario canada

Fitter30

Reaction score
You need some with a volt ohm meter to check it out. Does it trip the circuit breaker, is it grounded, does the thermostat work and is the power correct. Usually any thing electric goes for a swim it's done and for what parts and labor cost new one is cheaper. Thanks for your service.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks