Ejector Pump Discharge Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

GreatWhiteNorth

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought my first house last year and have been doing my best reading up on all things homeowner related. I've been having an issue, which I believe I understand how to correct. But I want to arm myself with the correct knowledge before getting a plumber in to quote a fix.

The home is on a septic system with the waste leaving about 6 feet off the basement floor, so the laundry sink drains via a small ejector basin that sits on the floor directly underneath it. Ever since I've been here the sink in the master bathroom directly above gurgles anytime the ejector pump runs. Earlier I took the stopper out and determined that the ejector is actually generating enough positive pressure that it shoots the water in the trap about 2-3in high into the bowl of the sink.

In the attached photo the ejector pump has a dedicated 2in vent (green) that runs to the corner of the house and then up above the roofline next to the downspout and a 1.5in discharge (red) which is tied into the 1.5in master sink drain (blue).

So two assumptions I'm making based on some reading I've done on the forum already:

1. Since the ejector is flowing under pressure a vent is not needed in the line that it discharges into
2. Ejectors like this are supposed to discharge into a minimum 3in line (which is probably why its pushing the water out of the trap)

So my thinking for the fix is that the discharge could be moved to an upward facing wye fitting in the 3in line where the toilet ties in (see 2nd pic with possible wye locations marked).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Discharge and Vent.jpg
    Discharge and Vent.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 136
  • New discharge location.jpg
    New discharge location.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 133

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
your assumption 1. is not correct. A vent to atmosphere is necessary as any plumbing fixture requires one. Not an AAV.
Discharge into the right hand green X section with a upward (anything rotated over 45 degree will work.
Not sure how your WC is vented, though.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the sewer ejector pit requires a vent and I'm not agreeing or commenting about why but the line line you put the 2 inch pumped into doesn't require venting typically it connects into the main with no additional vent (just the vent from the pit)

rework the pumped into the green x area with 3x3x2 wye not flat 45 minimum just like breplumb said

GreatWhiteNorth

Reaction score
your assumption 1. is not correct. A vent to atmosphere is necessary as any plumbing fixture requires one. Not an AAV.
Discharge into the right hand green X section with a upward (anything rotated over 45 degree will work.
Not sure how your WC is vented, though.

Now that you mention it, I believe the only fixtures in either upstairs bathroom that are vented are the sinks. Both of those run to a 2in roof vent, but the tub/shower and both toilets do not appear to have any venting. Any chance this was an acceptable thing on an older house or was it just done wrong from the start? The house is a 1989 build in Michigan.

Also I see an upward wye fitting about 4 feet upstream of the toilet (also slightly upstream of where tub drain tie-in is located) that is roughly underneath the wall behind the tub, looks like they might have intended to put a vent there, but never actually did it. Perhaps in the future if I was doing a remodel and had that wall open I could get that run vertical to the attic and tie into the existing vent there?

the sewer ejector pit requires a vent and I'm not agreeing or commenting about why but the line line you put the 2 inch pumped into doesn't require venting typically it connects into the main with no additional vent (just the vent from the pit)

rework the pumped into the green x area with 3x3x2 wye not flat 45 minimum just like breplumb said

Thanks for confirming, I will suggest that as a possible solution when the plumber comes.

Thank you all for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks