Ejector Pit Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Smith

Reaction score
Hello,

Short version: In the state of NJ, is it acceptable to vent an ejector pit through a vertical wall, assuming restrictions on placement are met?

Long version:

Currently I have a sewage ejector pit installed in my home. It was installed using the Studor/AAV method by a professional plumber (in NJ) prior to me owning the home (so I did not have the chance to ask questions or demand a proper vent be installed. There are 2 sinks, a washing machine, and a dishwasher connected to the ejector, no toilet. I do not wish to begin a discussion as to why this method does/does not work or why it is right/wrong. Fact is - functionally it works fine and it passed local plumbing inspection (there is a permit and sign off for the work). I also do not wish to discuss DIY vs. hiring a professional, I am simply seeking answers to the question.

Now that it has been about 2 years since the installation, there is a faint smell in the basement that is very clearly coming from the pit. My first attempt to resolve the issue was to apply silicone caulk around any potential leak points of the pit (electric wires, the lid seal itself). This attempt significantly reduced the smell but has not totally eliminated it.

My assumption is that this smell is the result of not having a proper vent for the pump. I have 4 options available to me:
1) Live with it - not a good option for obvious reasons
2) Install a proper vent above the roof line - approximately $5000 project. Due to the location of the pump there is no clear shot to the roof and I do not have hollow walls as it is a log cabin home. i'd like to avoid this option
3) Install a vent that is vented through a vertical wall. I would be able to locate the vent 10' above ground level, not below any doors or windows, and about 4' horizontally from the nearest window. This would not be a significant cost to achieve this setup. This is my preferred option.

My question is this: Is option 3 up to code in NJ? Is there any reason to believe that option 3 would not be a permanent solution to my problem? Is it safe to assume that my smell is in fact the result of the AAV method as opposed to something else? What could that something else be?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Either the AAV leaks or it doesn't.
Why don't you bag it for a day and see if the smell is improved. You would have to quit using plumbing for that duration.

I don't know anyone that uses an AAV for a pumped system. We can't do that in the Seattle area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks