Ejector pit plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

AlphaDog00

Reaction score
I have a sewage pump/pit pre-plumbed in my basement - the installation is fine, it is vented and has a 4" pipe from a future bathroom that runs into the side of the tub buried in the concrete.

My question is regarding the 2" Waste line that leaved the pit/pump. It rises vertically to the joists (it first passes a check valve and then a ball valve as soon as the line leaves the tub housing). When it gets to the joists it runs along the bottom with the proper fall for about 15' then turns a corner and runs another 15' before tying into the 4" sewer main that goes to my septic tank.

The strange thing is that where it turns the corner it goes "UP" about 10" then as it makes the second 15' run it has a normal fall where it then connects to the Sewer line.

Do I need this? Can I remove this section that has a vertical rise and just make the run fall the proper amount the entire 30' distance - the only reason I think this was done was for headroom, but if I am not concerned about that is there any reason the sewage pump can't pump the waste to the ceiling (8.5') and then fall normally for the 30' run - turning a corner or 2 along the way?

It seems like extra work for the pump and sewage sitting in a line - for a little used bathroom - that could dry out or clog if I leave it like this.

I have something similar with my sump pump and I see no reason for it there either.

Is there any reason why I can't do the following

From my sewage ejector pit, run the 2" waste line straight up to the joists then fall perpendicular to the joists 1/4" per foot, then turn 90 degrees and fall parallel to the joist eventually tying my 2" waste into my main 4" waste? total run is about 30'. If fall is correct, is there any reason for a trap in the horizontal run?

The ejector pit is combo Zoeller 266 sewage pump in Topp basin - Zoeller sells this as a kit. It has 4" inlet and a dedicated vent.

I am just trying to figure out why the plumber ran with the proper pitch for 15' then went up 10" and then another 15' horizontal again. It looks like a trap of sorts and it seems like it is a clog waiting to happen.

Thanks for any advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks