Effluent pump valve question (2 check valves, but why?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Barrettrussell

Reaction score
Installing a new above ground red lion effluent pump and looking at the schematics and see they recommend a gate valve post pump (for obvious reasons) as well as a check valve on the pressure side in addition to the check valve built into the pump head on the suction side. I can't wrap my head around why I need the two check valves. Additionally, I worry about adding unnecessary mechanical parts to the pressure side, as this is in the basement and any failure would be catastrophic. Any insight greatly appreciated. Please see diagram from manual below.

1654793767308.png

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I read the manual and I think it is a bit loose in the installation so the installer would need to do it to local codes as stated in the instructions. The check valve after the pump seems to prevent any backup should the discharge side is ever overwhelmed or in a heavy rain event to prevent a water backup to the pump. It also is spec'd that the discharge can pump to 25 feet in height. Any rise in level you alway want a check valve. The built in check valve I assuming it is to keep the prime when the pump is off and not designed for backup or back flow conditions.

Barrettrussell

Reaction score
I read the manual and I think it is a bit loose in the installation so the installer would need to do it to local codes as stated in the instructions. The check valve after the pump seems to prevent any backup should the discharge side is ever overwhelmed or in a heavy rain event to prevent a water backup to the pump. It also is spec'd that the discharge can pump to 25 feet in height. Any rise in level you alway want a check valve. The built in check valve I assuming it is to keep the prime when the pump is off and not designed for backup or back flow conditions.
Thanks for the input!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks