Efficiency curves for smaller pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

tkeoki

Reaction score
I have a Grundfos 16s20-18 pump with a Franklin 2 hp 1 phase motor. Is there a way I could come up with an efficiency curve?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Grundfos's web page sucks. I tried everything I know. See if you can get an efficiency curve from Grundfos. If you can post a copy here.

With the efficiency curve you can figure horsepower at low flow and you would realize their variable speed systems are actually wasting energy. So that is not the kind of information they like to give out.

tkeoki

Reaction score
Yeah, I've tried using their webcaps system, but can't seem to get the information out from that. It has a motor curve, but I don't know how to read it, it shows cos phi, l, eta, n, and p1. Is any of that useful? I got there from grundfos main page, clicking on webcaps, putting my model # in the search box, selecting "technical specifications". It then shows a pump curve, and then in the upper left area, you can click on the box for motor curve.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah that motor curve is not going to help with what you want. But that low flow deep set pump is not going to be very efficient for a heat pump. For a heat pump you want to keep the well pump as small as possible to reduce energy consumption. I have a 1/3 HP running my heat pump. It is all about the pumping level in the well. You don't need or want a pump that will produce from 400' if your pumping level is only 100'. But a lot of people will install a pump that can do 400' just because the well is 400', then the pump is greatly oversized, especially for a heat pump.

tkeoki

Reaction score
OK, I was able to find an efficiency chart for this pump and should be attached to this post, and also find the relevant info on their new product site

http://product-selection.grundfos.c...tion=&family=&type=&subtype=&step=2#/16S20-18

I know this pump isn't what I want for my heat pump, and once I have time, i'll be switching over to a shallow well, but in the meantime, I wanted some data to see what different house pressure settings and heat pump gpm affected my pocket book.

I also need to reduce the pump cycling, but I'm hoping to have all the pieces in place this spring to change over to the other well, so I'd like to get those details ironed out before deciding how to re-plumb everything. I'll be looking to the great opinions on this site to help with coming up with the best strategy.

Attachments

• Efficiency 16S.pdf
    18.6 KB · Views: 310

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Good job! I knew I had seen efficiency on those pumps somewhere. But after a couple hours looking, I gave up. The horsepower curve is the best for what you want to know. As you can see that pump goes from using 2.6 HP at 18 GPM to about 1.25HP at 3 GPM. That is a good break in horsepower when using low flow, which is what I like about Grundfos pumps. It is still more than you should spend for pumping to a heat pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks