Educating the Higher End Client of what to look for in High End Linear Drains

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Not a lot of room to bit too on that face lip...

That's a tough one Counter.

Are you going to cover with crack isolation?

How does the tile tie into the eased edge of the shower pan? Will it be even or can you cheat out a 1/4" rise. I foresee a large silicone bead happening somewhere.

Does that face lip actually sit high than the grate? If so then maybe the second lip is not needed. Then butting into the base 3/16" might look fine and help create the dam. Talking the eased edge out of play.

In hind sight maybe some Noble TS could have been set to the floor, 150'd to the face of the pan - lower section - then the gypcrete. After that set up the flap could have been then set down over the Gyprete.....

I'm sure that makes no sense ..... LOL

I wish I could blink and make a picture show up.

I'll send you a sketch....

IS there heating pipes out under the gypcrete?

How high does the pan sit off the subfloor?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Gypcrete on top of concrete just to level/raise.

I have some Strata mat to raise floor, flash the entry perimiter with TS and, float tile and back pitch to lip edge? silicone city.......Who knows if i will be the one on this floor, but it needs A detailed approach......

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Custom grate for linear drain

Here is an example of an option -- custom grate -- when custom showers are build .

I think it brings -- once chromed -- a different look and a personalized touch -- you can call it whatever you like -- , as long as it fits .:)

ACO strainer & '' S '' linear drain 1.jpg
ACO strainer & '' S '' linear drain 1 & Custom grate 1.jpg
:)

ACO strainer & '' S '' linear drain.jpg
Custom linear grate -- Eurocerob.jpg
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Roberto how is the ACO hair catcher working in your Kerdi Line Drain? I got an email from someone in the states that said their Kerdi Plastic one broke and fell apart. Must be how it's made, or how its used maybe. The person who emailed me said it was made from plastic - is that true?

Do you know if this is true? IS the Kerdi Line drain's hair catcher really made from plastic? Would that not suffer from thermal fatigue? Could the broken bits and pieces not clog a drain line? I find it hard to believe that the SS would use plastic.

The person who emailed me must be wrong or used it wrong.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
The ACO hair catcher is working well with the Kerdi Line Drain . Don't care about the plastic one from the " S " .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
....Don't care about the plastic one from the " S " .

Plastic.... That's class. I guess the lady in the US used hers wrong and that's why it fell apart. Looks like it snaps inlace somehow. Maybe she had to pry it out and the plastic failed.

I like the little handle the ACO model has.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Finally , the chromed linear grate is here .

Before look

Custom linear grate -- E logo SS finish -- Prepped for chrome 013.jpg

After look -- chromed

Custom linear grate -- E logo SS finish -- Chromed 002.jpg

:) Looks much better than the SS version -- well worth -- :)

Custom linear grate -- E logo SS finish -- Chromed.jpg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Looks better and most likely less prone to rust I'm guessing....

Nice touch Roberto. Next time use an ACO drain please. Better quality in my opinion than the Schluter line drains....

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Roberto did you create the kick under the bench for more space? More toe space?

Or was the design for more Knee Space !!! :O LOL wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean?

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
RSCB , yes.

John ,

The kick under is first aesthetically , second practical . It is a PITA to do , but well worth .

When more use of it is found ;) , I will let you know . o_O

More answers will be posted after -- 1$/answer -- donation is in the bank . :D

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
....When more use of it is found ;) , I will let you know . o_O....

It's sad that you have not all ready tested that Roberto - you should get on that tonight (pardon the pun). Designing showers for better shower sex is one of my busiest pages on my blog page. I had the subject covered on Houzz.com and they shut it down.... LOL.

I will give all future credit for this bench design to you. I'll called the design the "Euro B"

I've found that a 3'x4' shower is a great footprint for a good shower session ..... This after years of private testing! :) LOL

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
You are funny , John . :)

How many tequillas did you have ? A little more and no shower action tonight ....;)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
You are funny , John . :)

How many tequillas did you have ? A little more and no shower action tonight ....;)

No tequila for me. I had a whopping three beers durning the game. And I think two Baileys Coffee's with Breakfast. Right and one more beer at the pool.

That was spread out over 5 hours so not really that much in the big picture.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Speaking of hair catchers. I read this this morning on the John Bridge tile Forum.

"Larry, getting back to your original question, I can definitely tell you of one thing to be aware of with the Kerdi-Line. I installed a Kerdi-Line drain, and I am very disappointed by the poor design of the grate insert. I went with a solid stainless grate, which leaves a slot around the perimeter. This insert is supported by stainless tabs. What I am finding, after just a couple of months of using the shower, is that these tabs catch all hair that is meant to go down the drain, which then quickly becomes a "yuck dam". I suppose that some folks might like to catch all this yuck before it goes down the drain, but I am not one of them. And it is somewhat of a pain to remove the grate to clear all this stuff out - you need Schluter's little bent hook thingie to lift the insert, which is not a simple one-handed operation, then you need to clean all the hair which sticks to the tabs - the tabs are sharp, so you have a good chance of cutting yourself. Basically, a pretty poorly thought out design, IMO.

I don't know anything about the competition, but this is just something that I noticed about the Kerdi-Line with the solid insert." - Source

Reading the entire discussion it's clear none of the pros have ever seen the premium ACO product or installed the Proline before.

The ACO lifting key is a one handed job but two is safer. The tabs are curved and not as many as the Schluter Line drain. Roberto it was wise of you to switch out the stock model you ordered. Since you found rust anyway.....

Cleaning your Linear Shower Drain

The link above shows a simple cleaning approach to these linear shower drains. The drain shown in the link above suffers from multiple hair catching surfaces. The linear drain from ACO is my favourite and the easiest to clean.​

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
More helpful info on the John Bridge tile forum - have a read.

"Just a quick follow-up. Everything worked well. There are some pictures at http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...75#post1350675

The stub walls ended up being a pair of 2x6s or wider so they would tie securely into the walls. That makes for good backing for the frameless door. I also used ¼ inch drywall for the stub walls. Makes them another ½ inch narrower – narrower is nice. The Kerdi-line drain installs very nicely. You do need to be careful that it is truly level. It has almost no internal pitch.

The 2 inch inside curb height does not seem high and has one advantage. The Kerdi-line drain strainer actually clogs easily and frequently. We have had upwards of an inch of water on the shower floor before noticing. (Who showers with glasses on and looks at the floor?)" - Source

This info posted by someone the "Team" at John Bridge convinced to use the Kerdi Line Drain. The real reason here was to use Kerdi I think. GO KERDI. In the end the fellow named Larry has to removed his hair catcher often so he does not get an inch of water in his shower pan.

A good observation and another reason why I do not recommend hair catchers for barrier free showers. Also another reason why I like to see a 5/8" drop at least from the wet zone to the top of the grate. Why I like to use a capillary dam and the mini dam outside the shower.

I wonder how you remove the Kerdi hair catcher. I bet you need a tool. Maybe the lifting key prying up on the plastic part. The ACO one you need your fingers.

Better design. Better drain. Better hair catcher. ACO

attachment.php

I can only image the filth collecting on the underside of that tile top.... YUCH

There is a simple step that can be done to increase the flow rate of this drain. I wonder if it's printed anywhere online other than my blog page....?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Roberto where did the pictures go of your ACO hair catcher set inside the Kerdi Line drain? I had them posted on my blog but they do not show up today? I wonder if they disappeared with the platform change???

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks