Eco Drake versus Ultramax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Piperca

Reaction score
I purchased a 1.6l Drake with CEFIONTECT a couple of days ago, but I got a call today that it is out of stock and will not be available for 4-6 weeks, so the salesman gave me a couple of options:

1. Eco Drake with CEFIONTECT for the same price

or

2. Ultramax one-piece with CEFIONTECT for $90 more

I don't mind dropping the $90 on the Ultramax, but, since I like the Drake, I want a professional opinion.

Is the Eco as good a toilet as the Drake? Flush performance consistent with the Drake? The 1.28l thing sort of scares me!

I was originally in the market for an Ultramax, before I looked at the Drake, so one-piece versus two-piece isn't an issue either.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 1.6 has a bit more water to flush with.
If you hold the handle down on those big paper jobs it won't make a difference.

I have an Ultramax with CEFIONTECT and a Ultramax II with CEFIONTECT.
One bathroom is an Eco Drake.

Piperca

Reaction score
Terry, thanks for the response; however, I have a new dilemma.

The wife just got back from the neighbor's house and they are looking at the Ultramax II with CEFIONTECT ... Holy Smokes! Can you give me your opinion on this toilet? The neighbors have it as the best thing since sliced bread! The wife is impressed with the dual cyclone action and the under the rim thing.

Oh, by the way, what space is there between the tank and the wall. I have added tile to the wall and reduced the rough-in size to approximately 11-1/2".

Last edited:

torontoplumbingguy

Reaction score
My GP just retrofitted his home with Drakes and is totally amazed. I just went to a trusted plumbing distributor around the corner and he says they are both good but that the Ultramax II is his best selling toilet and he has NEVER had a complaint or heard from any plumber of issues with it. On the other hand, he says the American Standard Champion 4 line, while a phenomenol flush, does have service issues for some reason. His recommendation? Stay away from Koehler (especially Class 5); consider American Standard if you don't mind tinkering; buy Toto if you want the best home toilet on the market for his money. Oh, he has Toto's installed in his own home. All of their guys do. I am on my way out the door and I am thinking I am going to buy a Toto Ultramax II although they are a bit pricey up here in the Toronto area; about $500 after rebates plus taxes. Comments?

Piperca

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, TTG! I think it is an Ultramax II for us! The wife likes the "no rim" idea. I guess I'll report back with our findings, once we have a chance to evaluate it.

Terry, I'd appreciate your input regarding the space behind the Ultramax II's tank. As I said, I am down to a 11-1/2" rough ... am I okay? I like the 1-1/8" behind the Drake. I can't find any information on Toto's website. Does the II use the same body as the standard Ultramax ADA?

Last edited:

Piperca

Reaction score
Geez, I hate to do this to you all ... I just stumbled across the Drake II with CEFIONTECT ... I like it very much ... how does it perform?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pretty much all Toto toilets work. Even their builder's special is better than the competition's low-end toilet. Any of them in the range you are talking about are fine. Pick the style you like and go for it. SanaGlos is a worthwhile enhancement, but isn't available on all models in all colors. ADA height, unless you are very petite is a nice addition as well. Each toilet model has a varying amount of space behind, so carefully check the spec sheet if your rough-in is not at the standard 12"...don't assume you'll have much leaway. Some models have a lot, some don't.

Piperca

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim ... looks like the Drake II has a full 1-1/4" behind the tank ... makes the decision pretty easy! :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure the Drake and the Drake II have the same rear space...double-check!

Piperca

Reaction score
Actually, the Drake has 1-1/8" and the Drake II has 1-1/4" ... not sure why there's a difference. The Drake II has a different shaped tank, too ... nicer looking toilet all around!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks