Eco Drake Toilet Tank Replacement ST743E vs ST776EA - Silver Tank to Bowl Bolts

Users who are viewing this thread

Java007

Reaction score
One of our Eco Drake toilets developed a leak from the original tank and upon inspection I found a couple of what appeared to be small hairline cracks on the bottom of the inside of the tank. Not wanting to take a chance on a failure in the middle of the night, I opted to order a replacement tank, a ST743E#01. Nothing was available locally, so I ordered online.

What I received was a ST776EA. From a search of the Ferguson site, I see the ST776EA is listed as a replacement for the ST743E. Needing the toilet to be operational, I installed the new tank and it fit well (in general) as expected. The parts with the new tank included two silver bolts vs. the brass bolts that were with the original tank. Is that standard with these new tanks? I have a query in to Toto, but have not received a reply yet.

The tank is operating great, and certainly looks good - but, upon installation I discovered that with the new tank the more squared off shape brings the water inlet pipe so close to the bowl that the plastic wing nuts for the water inlet line hit the bowl. As a temporary workaround I connect the water line directly to the tank, positioning the wings so that they did not contact the bowl, and then did the final placement of the tank on the bowl. Taking a dremel tool to the wing nuts may be a future project!

Any thoughts or concerns with the silver bolts? Or tips for better addressing the tight clearance for the water inlet line?

In case it's not obvious, I'm just a home DIY'er :) I purchased the Eco Drakes probably 10 years ago after reading recommendations on this forum - one of the best decisions I've made in that time.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The ST776EA is the current replacement tank for the ST743E
And yes, the fill valve is really, really close. I had to cut the fins of the plastic supply line to make my connection. They do make supply lines with metal nuts which tend to be smaller. It's time for me to stock some of those for my retrofit repairs.

The silver bolts are stainless I assume. And that's what I'm seeing too.

Markiz

Reaction score
May I ask if there was any noticeable improvement in the performance of replacing the ST743E tank with the ST776 tank or if it is about the same?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks