Ebay Down Hole Camera Reviews?

Users who are viewing this thread

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
Since we used a fair amount of water this morning I figured I’d run the camera down as far as I could to see things but even before I hit the water the pic quality was poor. Not sure if it was the laptop or camera. Out of the well cap the quality was fine but soon as I dropped it past the pitlessthe picture dropped off every time. Not sure why but I’ll grt to the bottom of this eventually.

Any answers on the camera poor picture issue yet? LB

LennyS

Reaction score
Not yet. Last time I used a laptop and even recorded some but it wouldn’t play so I’m notvsure what’s going on. I’m gonna try an see if it works better with just a monitor. Even using just a monitor outdoors is too bright where you can hardly see what’s on the screen. I may try tonight in the dark and see how that works.

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
Not yet. Last time I used a laptop and even recorded some but it wouldn’t play so I’m notvsure what’s going on. I’m gonna try an see if it works better with just a monitor. Even using just a monitor outdoors is too bright where you can hardly see what’s on the screen. I may try tonight in the dark and see how that works.

I can not use a laptop outside. Too bright. You need a huge black towel to go over your head and screen. Now that would get the neighbors going.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Still waiting for my unit to show up. Just tracked it. It’s in Oregon. Don’t know if it will arrive tomorrow or Monday. I’m on my way to California to look at a drill rig. Should be there when I get back.

Yes it’s almost impossible to see the video on either a laptop or small monitor outside in the sunlight. With my camera van, I’m inside the vehicle and viewing and recording on my laptop.

When I use my Laval R-cam portable, I try to leave it in the back of my pickup. I back up to the well and move the winch unit to the tailgate. The control cords are just long enough to reach thru the back window of my crew cab dually. The control unit sits on the backseat. It has a 7” screen built into it and I’m recording and watching on my laptop. From the front seat. Inside the pickup gives me enough shade to see the screen.

It’s a little more difficult if I can’t back my pickup to the well. Inside of a pump house is no problem. Outside in the sunshine, it’s throw a blanket over your head and the monitor. Need to find some goggles that have a built in screen!

Leaky Boot

Reaction score

Strange that it looses picture quality in the first few feet you lower it. Maybe the temp difference is fogging the lense. One time we went caving on a real cold day and took a lot of photos way back in the cave. Little did we know the warm air inside had fogged up the camera and when we got the photos back (old days) they were no clear at all. LB

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
Since we used a fair amount of water this morning I figured I’d run the camera down as far as I could to see things but even before I hit the water the pic quality was poor. Not sure if it was the laptop or camera. Out of the well cap the quality was fine but soon as I dropped it past the pitlessthe picture dropped off every time. Not sure why but I’ll grt to the bottom of this eventually.

Did you make progress in getting a clear picture? Thanks, LB

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m sitting In the airport on Grand Cayman Island waiting for our flight home. We’ve been here for the last week, courtesy of Preferred Pump. Flight are delayed into Atlanta because of the cold front. We fly home to Washington tomorrow.

I’ve been visiting with another driller from Oregon, here in the airport, talking about drilling. He’s had some questions for me about flooded reverse drilling. Some drillers have the attitude that they don’t want to share their secrets. One driller once told me “I learned things the hard way. You’ll have learn then the hard way too.”

I feel the opposite. I’ve been in the industry long enough to know how much I don’t know. But I’m willing to share anything I do know. Giving classes for continuing education to my peers is a very fulfilling way of giving back to my industry.

Wish I'd known you were there! We were there the same week & had a GREAT time. I was part of the team that won the tug of war during the beach party.

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
Did get my camera this past week. Has a real good picture just playing with it. Can read a newspaper with it. Have not tried it in a well but don't see an issue other than normal cloudy water or fog on the lens. LB

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
Used the camera yesterday to try and find the depth of some rusty steel casing. I find it needs more light than the 2 leds. It would be ok for looking about a fishing job but not bright enough to tell where the rusty steel stopped and the rock started. Will try a penlight taped to it next time. LB

AnnaMurray75NSA

Reaction score
Hey, what are your results? Did the flashlight help improve the quality of shooting? I became interested in this topic, so I would like to know what you did. I've never used mini cameras like this, so I can't give you any advice. I usually use go pro with a protective case to shoot something underwater or in "extreme" conditions, but as you can imagine, this is not very convenient. My main camera is Canon Mark, it took a lot of time until I found lensespro.org where I could choose a good lens. I would be very grateful if someone would share with me a link to a similar mini camera online. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
Hey, what are your results? Did the flashlight help improve the quality of shooting? I became interested in this topic, so I would like to know what you did. I've never used mini cameras like this, so I can't give you any advice. I usually use go pro with a protective case to shoot something underwater or in "extreme" conditions, but as you can imagine, this is not very convenient. My main camera is Canon Mark, it took a lot of time until I found lensespro.org where I could choose a good lens. I would be very grateful if someone would share with me a link to a similar mini camera online. Thanks in advance!

Never tried the penlight.. I did try the camera to locate the end of pipe that was down about 200 ft to try to fish it. Soon as I hit water could not see a thing. We set a new pump and pipe on top of the lost pump and when we pumped water it was brown so explained my "no vision". Not camera fault after all. At present my laptop a battery is junk so to use need a drop cord and 110 volts at well just to power the screen. Ebay battery lasted a couple months. Will have a chance to use it in future and will try the extra light.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks