Easiest way to move/replace copper laundry supply lines without soldering

Users who are viewing this thread

mwhitis

Reaction score
My laundry supply lines are currently running from overhead and attached directly to my foundation wall. I'm remodeling the laundry room, and want to frame and insulate that area and put in a proper laundry box. I'll need to move the supply a couple of inches out to account for the insulation, etc. What's the best way to do this without needing to solder?

I know I'll probably have to cut into the overhead lines, and wasn't sure if replacing the laundry feed with something like pex or cpvc would be a good choice, or should I look into some sort of push on or compression fitting and re-use the copper (or get new copper)?

Thanks,

Mike

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
They do make sharkbite fittings. Basically these fittings you push them in and your good to go. However you have to make sure that the outside edge of the pipe is filed down, to prevent any damage to the gasket inside the fitting. That being said I have never installed one on a job so I dont know about its durability.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I learned to solder when I was 12 or 13 years old. Don't overlook the fact that you could learn too!​

A simple move and relocate is pretty easy.
Tools for the job don't cost much either.

If you can use PEX, that would be my preference over CPVC, though both would work fine.
Copper would be nice too.
If you use Sharkbites, just make sure the ends are smooth.
They are a little more loosey goosey than other methods.

mwhitis

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Appreciate the input. Seems like PEX isn't big in this area, according to the local supply house and the guys at the box stores (for whatever that's worth). I can get the sharkbite brand tubing at the local HD, but other than that, I'd be ordering online.

I guess my question more specifically, is PEX ok for a laundry connection? I know they make PEX laundry boxes, etc., but I've read a couple of places about only using copper in high volume connections like laundry valves. Am I ok to run PEX all the way?

Thanks,

Mike

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I wouldn't worrying about soldering. It isn't hard. Just make sure the joins are clean, add flux, heat fitting until the solder flows, and wipe down with a wet rag when the joint is full.

If it is currently copper, I would just stick with copper. Sharkbike fittings work fine too. They are more $$ than your standard copper fittings. Depending on how many fittings you need, you may save enough in fittings to pay for the supplies needed for a soldered joint (torch, solder, flux, etc.).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks