DWV Vent Near Bathroom Skylight

Users who are viewing this thread

Doug Henningsen

Reaction score
If I understand the code (UPC in CA), my choices are:
  1. Run vent line >3' above the height of the (opened?) skylight. If I do this, from what I've read, it's advisable to paint ABS pipe to protect it from UV rays - correct? A 3' pipe would seem to need a brace but properly secured below the roof, it should be secure - correct? Is there any code on these items?
  2. Run the vent line >10' away from the skylight. The DWV is for a single bath with 8' ceilings in a house with a flat roof. Can I run the 2" vent line 10' horizontally before it goes through the roof as long as the pipe is slightly sloped toward the drain?
Related to the bathroom DWV - if #2 is not permitted for some reason, is it possible to run the DWV 20"+/- horizontally before going through the roof to properly align it with an existing roof penetration?

Thanks!

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agreed that those are your two choices per https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2019/chapter/9/vents#906.2

1) Yes, paint the ABS, or my preference, use a different material above the roof, e.g. 3" copper DWV, transitioning just below the roof deck. Although 4' of 3" copper DWV might be pricey.

Not sure on bracing/securing.

2) Sure. If running through solid sawn joists/rafters, they would need to be a minimum depth of 7.5" to accommodate the 2-1/2" hole required for a 2-3/8" OD pipe. That would exclude modern 2x8s (7.25" in depth).

Cheers, Wayne

Doug Henningsen

Reaction score
Agreed that those are your two choices per https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2019/chapter/9/vents#906.2

1) Yes, paint the ABS, or my preference, use a different material above the roof, e.g. 3" copper DWV, transitioning just below the roof deck. Although 4' of 3" copper DWV might be pricey.

Not sure on bracing/securing.

2) Sure. If running through solid sawn joists/rafters, they would need to be a minimum depth of 7.5" to accommodate the 2-1/2" hole required for a 2-3/8" OD pipe. That would exclude modern 2x8s (7.25" in depth).

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Regarding the joists (#2) - and I should have addressed that in my question. I lucked out...the joists run from front to back of the house, so I'll run the vent between the joists. And I think #2 is preferable - more distance between a vent and skylight is better. Under option #1, on a warm calm day with skylight open, I fear parfums de sewer slowly spilling out of the vent and directly into the skylight.

Just curious - for educational purposes - is there a limit to how far I could run the vent horizontally as long as there's an appropriate slope?

Thanks again!
Doug

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't want rain, snow melt, or condensation to block your vent line, or accumulate, so appropriate slope is a good idea. In an unheated attic, any accumulation could also freeze, but that's unlikely where you live. In places where freeze is a normal occurrence, using a larger pipe through the roof is often called for to prevent hoar frost from closing it off.

Doug Henningsen

Reaction score
If I'm reading Table 703.2 correctly (I just glanced at it), a required 2" vent can be 120 feet long, of which 40 feet can be horizontal.

https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2019/chapter/7/sanitary-drainage#703.2

As to vent grade, apparently level is allowed, but 1/4" per foot back towards the drain is better.

https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2019/chapter/9/vents#905.1

Cheers, Wayne

Huge thanks Wayne and Jim for your insight. Wayne, thanks for the references to the code.... I need to get friendly with Mr. Code, and that helps.
Doug

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks