DWV test question

Users who are viewing this thread

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
Filled DWV from 50” lavatory pipe. Everything else except for roof vent plugged. All pipes dry (we did have to replace two connections, so the test worked in that manner.). I’ve had pressure on the system from the water since Friday. I’ve had to top off a few times and overnight it dropped two or 3 inches (2” pipe). I have cardboard under all the system and have physically touched all the joints checked with a flashlight there’s no leaks anywhere this is a small house 1300 ft.² so it’s relatively easy to get to all the plumbing. Can air pressue and temperature affect level? What about trapped air releasing?

I spoke to my friend who’s a retired inspector in the next town and he told me to just top it off if it’s dry.

Rough Inspection is tomorrow! Finally !!!

Thanks all. Top of the morning to you

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Filled DWV from 50” lavatory pipe. Everything else except for roof vent plugged. All pipes dry (we did have to replace two connections, so the test worked in that manner.). I’ve had pressure on the system from the water since Friday. I’ve had to top off a few times and overnight it dropped two or 3 inches (2” pipe). I have cardboard under all the system and have physically touched all the joints checked with a flashlight there’s no leaks anywhere this is a small house 1300 ft.² so it’s relatively easy to get to all the plumbing. Can air pressue and temperature affect level? What about trapped air releasing?

I spoke to my friend who’s a retired inspector in the next town and he told me to just top it off if it’s dry.

Rough Inspection is tomorrow! Finally !!!

Thanks all. Top of the morning to you
Air pressure can cause little effect on a hydrostatic test

On the other hand on an air test it can affect the test pressure considerably

As the ambient temperature rises so does the pressure as the temperature deceases so does the pressure

This is called temperature pressure relationship

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Getting the air out of a system like this is a systematic and two person job that's done during the fill. If your dropping and there are no leaks then you have air bubbles that are making their way out. It will take quite a awhile for the system to equalize with air bubbles in it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yep its got air trapped. you could top it off 10 times and still have air but it should hold for the time inspector is there. we usually bleed off air

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
Hey everyone we passed! The topping off held overnight. I did not have a PRV valve but he told me I could install it for the final. What a relief to pass on first try. Many thanks to Terry Wayne and all the other fine people here who helped me accomplish this. You guys are great.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
out here its typical to leave off the PRV until final. several reasons 1 I like having full pressure on the house at all times so that a leak will pop up before move in 2 they get stolen
We also install the vacuum breakers on hose bibs on finish as well . we often have a jumper nipple for the PRV .
Toward end of construction just before cabinets are installed if its multiple homes we go to the house shut water off put remove jumper install all the angle stops and PRV . its no fun putting them on after cabinets go in. a lot of times we can do water heaters around then because the drywall texture is done. strapped and filled with water of course to reduce theft garage doors installed as well usually over 90 percent in garage my neck of woods

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
out here its typical to leave off the PRV until final. several reasons 1 I like having full pressure on the house at all times so that a leak will pop up before move in 2 they get stolen
We also install the vacuum breakers on hose bibs on finish as well . we often have a jumper nipple for the PRV .
Toward end of construction just before cabinets are installed if its multiple homes we go to the house shut water off put remove jumper install all the angle stops and PRV . its no fun putting them on after cabinets go in. a lot of times we can do water heaters around then because the drywall texture is done. strapped and filled with water of course to reduce theft garage doors installed as well usually over 90 percent in garage my neck of woods
Thanks Jeff, good info. our main is 1” PEX A, the inspector suggested a shark bite PRV. Plan to put it in the utility room before the water goes anywhere. Any favorite ones? Would you go with PEX A PRV if that was your system? Do any professional plumbers use sharkbite except for emergencies? Not saying they don't I just have only seen them on homeowner projects.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't use PEX much , its mostly copper with unions because the mains are typically in garage or front of house in open air.
If the shark bite isn't buried in a wall or where its mainly unseen its not the big a deal but generally I avoid them.
Professional Plumbers , and Professional installation aren't necessarily the same, some guys kind of blow and go do a fairly looking clean install but use them here and there . it is subject to opinion I will use occasionally without shame in particular instances but rarely.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had 3 temporary sharkbites fail today. Sprayed water everywhere. The o rings for pushed off when the fitting got pushed on. The apprentice got yelled at. Couldn't even put a sharkbite on correctly.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had 3 temporary sharkbites fail today. Sprayed water everywhere. The o rings for pushed off when the fitting got pushed on. The apprentice got yelled at. Couldn't even put a sharkbite on correctly.
Was it a failure to prep the end of the pipe properly before installing the sharkbite? An outer burr on the end of the pipe caught the o-ring and dislodged it?

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not put a PRV right on the incoming water line. Instead I would put a ball valve to let you shut off the water to do things.
After that, I might put a boiler drain valve, that could let you attach a garden hose thread pressure gauge, for potential diagnosis later. I would consider a tee to outdoor water to give you a high-pressure hose connection outside. That would be optional.

Then the PRV, with a method to change it.

For the incoming water valve, I would rather have a clamp or crimp PEX fitting. I am not saying that a SharkBite would not be suitable, but I would at least leave enough pipe to attach a regular PEX fitting if needed in the future.

Also, make sure the OD of your 1 inch PEX is 1.125 inch OD, or make sure that you can read the info printed on the pipe to make sure that it is 1 inch PEX. If you just see that this is plastic pipe coming in, investigate further before assuming PEX.

Support that valve somehow. We don't want to stress the incoming pipe.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Was it a failure to prep the end of the pipe properly before installing the sharkbite? An outer burr on the end of the pipe caught the o-ring and dislodged it?

Cheers, Wayne
3 of them but not the fourth? Maybe. I just repositioned the o rings and pushed them back on with no prep and they worked fine. I think it was maybe lack of prep and definitely lack of attention to detail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks