DWV review please for a DIY'er planning a basement laundry/bath

Users who are viewing this thread

-TH-

Reaction score
Hello all,

I would like to add a laundry/bath room in the basement of our 100 year old home. It is right below the kitchen which currently has a sink drain that is not vented at all and goes straight down into the basement floor of the proposed laundry/bath. I believe it connects underground to the main waste line.

I've been reading books/michigan code/this forum as much as I can. The attached sketch is what I've come up with so far. I will make sure all pipe sizes and branch lengths are within code and all connections are proper, etc. I'm more concerned with the general layout before I go further. Any advice you have for me would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Todd

Attachments

• dwv sketch.jpg
    dwv sketch.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 492

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet is upstream of the shower, that needs changing.
I'm assuming that the downstairs vent is at 42" or higher and that the second floor tie in is at 42" or higher.
I see an Island Vent on the upstairs kitchen that drains. That looks okay as long as you have the proper cleanouts on it.

-TH-

Reaction score
Ok thank you Terry I really appreciate the feedback.

New sketch is below. I will make sure the horizontal branch arm lengths do not exceed mich code maximums, and also that the vent tie ins are above 42" above respective floors. I'm fuzzy on where clean outs are required however. Any feedback on that or anything else is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

20161031081142319_0001.jpg

Last edited:

-TH-

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I need all of those cleanouts? Or if I have them in the right places? I still can't determine whether or not I do. Thanks.

Last edited:

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
The toilet is still upstream of the shower. The shower needs a vent in that case.

Kitchen sink drain needs to be 2". I would eliminate that weird jog in the loop vent and drop the 1.5" straight down into the 3".

There is nothing wrong with the clean outs. Terry was pointing out to make sure the island loop vent had clean outs as required.

-TH-

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the feedback. New sketch is below. Added one more clean out which makes 6 total. That's still correct? Do I need to have the one above the sink drain? Or can I move it to below the floor? It's a little tight under the kitchen sink. Thanks again.

Edit: one more question, can the vent connection for the shower drain be horizontal like that? Thanks.

scan3.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the sink and laundry arms are REALLY 60" and 72" then they are too long for even a 2" branch line. The shower vent is horizontal under the floor, and its cleanout does NOT really service the shower drain, thus it is useless the way you have the piping arranged.

-TH-

Reaction score
If the sink and laundry arms are REALLY 60" and 72" then they are too long for even a 2" branch line. The shower vent is horizontal under the floor, and its cleanout does NOT really service the shower drain, thus it is useless the way you have the piping arranged.

Ok thank you.

The sources I was looking at gave those max dimensions but maybe that was old code for Michigan? I'm planning on getting a book before too much longer. Anyway, my actual dimensions are just under 42" each so hopefully that will be to code.

Can the shower vent stay horizontal and connect to the side like I have it drawin? Everywhere I look I see the vent coming off at least 45° upward.

I will gladly remove the cleanout on the shower vent. Any others that I can remove please let me know.

Thanks again!
TH

-TH-

Reaction score
Run the shower drain to meet the vent where it goes vertical.

What makes this one a bit tricky is that the rectangles on the floor in the sketch represent 11" thick concrete walls of an old cistern. I'm cutting the opening in the wall and putting a shower/toilet/sink in the cistern and I'm hoping to leave the walls as bare concrete on the inside. The outside of the cistern will be studded walls. That's why I drew it like I did. I suppose I might be able to dig under the wall for the drain but I'm not sure. I'm thinking now about running the shower vent over the wc drain (still under the floor) and over to the wall by the lav and laundry sink drains to avoid going across the ceiling. I'll make a new sketch.

Last edited:

-TH-

Reaction score
Ok here's my latest sketch. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could look it over for any mistakes. I'm hoping to get a permit and start working soon. Thanks a bunch!
20161110100355135.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks