DWV Question

Users who are viewing this thread

hello_mundo

Reaction score
I'm rough plumbing a house I'm building and I've gotten stuck on this one wall where two bathrooms meet back to back.

I'm worried about where the shower and tub wastes meet at that double-fixture tee. Is that okay? Is that an okay way to vent those two fixtures? Is this long main waste line vented properly?

The toilets are wall-hung in Geberit carriers and that's why the drain is in the wall with the vent following behind it.

plumbing_r01.gif

Thanks for your time!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For the toilets you would wye or combo off the main line and vent between that fitting and the fixture.

The way it's drawn now is wrong.

The lavs and the tub/shower combo is right.

hello_mundo

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I was looking at the Geberit Install documentation and they had the vent set up the way I've drawn it. But I think I understand why your way is better. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I imagine they have the vent downstream, and that is how you vent.
But when you add other fixtures before the vent, it is no longer downstream.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Don't worry about the double tee for the Tub and Shower. That is not a problem at all. Only be careful when you double tee back to back toilets. In that case, you need to have at lease 18" of horizontal pipeon each side before it hits the tee from both sides.

Don't forget all of your vertical to horizontal connections must be Wyes and not tees on their back (except for vents).

I agree with Terry's assessment

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The only problem I have with back to back san tees is when it comes time to run a snake down the drain it usually scoots across to the other fixture.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Really?

quote; Only be careful when you double tee back to back toilets. In that case, you need to have at lease 18" of horizontal pipeon each side before it hits the tee from both sides.

1. WE cannot use a double tee/cross for back to back fixtures of ANY kind.
2. 18'' of horizontal pipe each way, plus a "cross", would give you at least an 18" toilet roughin on both sides more if you are not counting the elbow.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The only problem I have with back to back san tees is when it comes time to run a snake down the drain it usually scoots across to the other fixture.

Thats why You put a wye combo on the vent and run the pipe to the nearest wall with a plug so you have a clean out on the drop.

theplumber

Reaction score
The only issue I have is the sizing of the wasteline for the w/c's. I could have sworn you could only keep to 3" if the toilets were at least 16' apart. Otherwise you have to go to 4" after the drop from the toilet closest to the sewer if they are closer than that.

It may depend on local codes, I'm not sure if that's just an L.A. thing or if I'm completely mistaken.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Exception: Back-to-back water closet connections to double
sanitary tees shall be permitted where the horizontal
developed length between the outlet of the water closet and
the connection to the double sanitary tee pattern is 18 inches
(457 mm) or greater.

I don't agree with it but it is allowed.

hello_mundo

Reaction score
Quote: I could have sworn you could only keep to 3" if the toilets were at least 16' apart.

I'm not positive, but I designed it this way because the code book said that 3" ABS could support 20 fixture units (that's IRC... UPC says 35) on a horizontal branch. A W.C. is 3 fixture units, so that allows lots of room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks