DWV Question - relocating toilet...

Users who are viewing this thread

ltlistener

Reaction score
In trying to do the right thing by my better half, I promised to at least scope the ability to move the toilet (swap with vanity) in a small bath, which needs to be relocated more or less 3~3.5 ft. but over 2 joist bays. The only way I could see doing this (because we don't have enough meat on the joists to drill holes through) is to come off the vertical stack in the basement and run a new line.

I tried (poorly) to draw what I'm thinking might work, but am concerned about venting. Knowing that the shower was added on by the previous owner, I'm not really sure the original dwv was sufficient.

I'm hoping some of you folks with a lot more knowledge can tell me if this is feasible or needs a more major / intrusive work to accomplish moving the toilet. Is it typical to run back to the vertical run to move joist bays? Is the 2" wet vent sufficient for this new run (still)? Any other concerns that make this more challenging or a not OK?

Thanks!

DWV Layout.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Run the toilet straight off of the stack, and don't bother adding more venting for it. The lav being 2" will vent it.
Unlike the shower or the lav, since the toilet is designed to siphon anyway, the venting can come from different positions. In this case, the lav will vent both the shower and the toilet.

ltlistener

Reaction score
Run the toilet straight off of the stack, and don't bother adding more venting for it. The lav being 2" will vent it.
Unlike the shower or the lav, since the toilet is designed to siphon anyway, the venting can come from different positions. In this case, the lav will vent both the shower and the toilet.

Terry -- thanks for the reply. Would you (should I) be concerned about the distance from the toilet to the stack would be roughly 10 ft including ~7 feet to the back wall of the basement and a few over & down to the stack? All the fixtures are in a 6 x 6 bath, but there is some distance to the stack since the bathroom is in the middle of the 1st floor.

Also, your reply is saying I can just run the new branch from the stack and not bother tying into the 2" running to the lav, right?

Appreciate the sage advice.

ltlistener

Reaction score
The toilet should have a vent within six feet. You many want to add one for that.

If I tie into the 2" like the drawing the lav and associated vent will be a few feet away. Would that work ok or do i need to run a vent up and tie to the dry portion? I'm working with 2x4s so i was hoping to not need to do that.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The proper way would be to tie in at 42" above the floor with a dry vent.
The lav is draining which direction? That part is washed. The part that is dry never gets washed. There is no way to keep the dry side clear.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks