DWV Layout Bath & Laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

N0rm

Reaction score
Thanks for the input dlarriveee, by Virginia Residential code, you can run a 2 inch horizontal branch 8 feet, the laundry branch to the trap is 4 feet. Have I done it right or wrong? You are definitely right on the shower flat vent I was thinking maybe I need to run the shower drain back to the wall vent and then to the 3" horizontal main?

Norm

Hammerlane

Reaction score
The program I use is Google's Sketchup 8 Pro but there is a Google sketchup 8 which is free for downloading. Very easy to use and very intuitive.

Norm. I have google sketchup 8(not the pro version) that I've used for carpentry projects. I do not see any plumbing fittings anywhere in it.

If you buy the Pro version is that how you get access to the plumbing fittings?

Last edited:

N0rm

Reaction score
Hammerlane, there is a few plumbing fittings on Google Sketchup warehouse. They do not very accurate representation of the configuration dimensions of manufactured fittings, at least that I found. {someone out there might help us} The fittings that I use I made myself to Charlotte manufacturing specifications from their catalog, pretty time-consuming. Pro doesn't give you much more for $500 some solid tool, which makes some jobs faster. In my previous life I used CAD to design and redesign commercial equipment. I found sketch up a lot easier to use and Pro provides layout for presentations and a lot cheaper then CAD. Even free you can do most of it.
Norm

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks for the input dlarriveee, by Virginia Residential code, you can run a 2 inch horizontal branch 8 feet, the laundry branch to the trap is 4 feet. Have I done it right or wrong? You are definitely right on the shower flat vent I was thinking maybe I need to run the shower drain back to the wall vent and then to the 3" horizontal main?

Norm

The stack is not considered a vent anywhere below the top-most drain connection. Because the sink is draining into the stack, the washer must be re-vented. You are allowed to wet vent a bath group, but not a laundry.

The shower vent must rise vertically until it is at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture served by the stack. The shower drain line will need to be positioned so that the vent can rise vertically from the drain.

N0rm

Reaction score
Thanks Cacher_chick I appreciate your advice, I will re-vent the washer in the next drawing. week ago I had to ask what re-vent meant I am making a little progress thanks to all your inputs. I just finished change in the shower vent 45 up and over to an area that will be a bench and storageIf you we could take a look I would appreciate it. I will do the washer re-vent tomorrow. The old man man gets tired about this time of night.

Norm
Plumbing Lay Out 7-1.jpg.

N0rm

Reaction score
The drawing wasn't to clear after I uploaded it, here is another try. Norm

Plumbing Lay Out 7-2.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The wye for the shower vent is backwards on post 46 and 47
Everything should be able to low down hill with our reversing direction.

N0rm

Reaction score
Thanks dlarrivee will have to go back to the drawing board. Any suggestions on getting the shower I would appreciate. Terry, I'm not clear on the wye backward for the shower vent, it should be in the direction of flow as though it was a drain
not event?

Thanks again,

N0rm

Reaction score
Looking back at the image Cacher_chick posted #8 I see the wye for the re-vent
is in the direction of flow. Norm

N0rm

Reaction score
What if I ran the laundry room branch down past the bathroom connection to the main 3" and connected to the main 3" and wet vent the bathroom. Norm

N0rm

Reaction score
Any advice or recommendations on how to do the shower vent I would appreciate. The image shows the vent over in the shower space I kept it as tight as I could.
NormPlumbing Lay Out 8-1.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A fitting used to vent on the horizontal needs to be a wye fitting.

A fitting used to vent vertical needs to be a santee.

The shower needs a wye or combo fitting.
If you need more room, pull the 3x2 wye farther back.

N0rm

Reaction score
New drawing will this work. I know it's duplication of drains, but I don't see how that I can vent the shower I can't lower the sewer more than 10 inches below the slab and maintain a 1/4" - 1' slope. As I read the Virginia residential code I can wet event a bath group as long as there's no discharge upstream of the group. (reading the code is does not mean I interpret it correctly)

Any advice would be appreciated

Norm
Plumbing Lay Out 9-1.jpg

N0rm

Reaction score
You are right cacher_chick I'm back where I started. This new drawing is my interpretation of a circuit Vent. I would redo the washer standpipe and the laundry sink drain no vent. before I show it to the inspector next week. Virginia is under the IPC code which allow side inlets on 90s and circuit venting.

Norm

Plumbing Lay Out 10-1.jpg

N0rm

Reaction score
Been out of it for a few days. Here is my last a try at Plumbing I would appreciate any advice.
Norm

PlumbingLayOutIns-1-0.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Put the WC and lavatory back the way it was on post #55.

The washer standpipe cannot wet vent through the sink drain. Add a re-vent for the standpipe.

Love your CAD drawings, they look great!

N0rm

Reaction score
Thanks cacher_chick I'm posting those changes, and I'm going to show them to the inspector this morning while he is here doing and electrical inspection.

many thanks, been in the construction engineering field all my adult life. This experience gives me new respect for people in the plumbing industry. . The old saying S runs downhill hot is on the left cold on the right falls far short...

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r505/N0rm1/PlumbingLayOutINS-2-1.jpg
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r505/N0rm1/PlumbingLayOutINS-2-2.jpg

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Somtimes its easier to take all the vents into the attic and then tie them all together. technically the drawing is still not correct. It shows some wrong fittings being used but I realize you may not use them and its a pic. LOL

Goodluck to you and I hope your project turns out well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks