DWV Layout Bath & Laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

N0rm

Reaction score
New Work 1.jpgPlumbing_Layout.jpgThis has become my favorite forum after months of researching the web and reading the 2006 Virginia residential plumbing code. I have learned a lot of useful information but not nearly enough... I appreciate any advice and guidance you can give me.

In retirement from the engineering and construction industry for 50 years I decided to remodel my home with an addition, moving a bathroom and laundry room 60 feet from the main stack and sewer, which is 30 inches deep from the surface of the slab to the center of a 3-inch sewer. Which should be no problem to obtain a 1/4†plus slope? I cut a three-foot wide path through the concrete slab.

I have attached a layout of the bathroom and laundry room and a try at the DWV.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance you can give me,
Norm

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Can you put a blown up portion of the washer/sink laundry branch drain so that we can see the distances better? Depending on the distance that washer standpipe is from the 1.5" vent, you may have to throw another vent into that 2" branch between the washer standpipe and the laundry sink.

Attachments

• gfgfd.jpg
    gfgfd.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,330
Last edited:

N0rm

Reaction score
Plumbing iso Draning.jpgThanks for the reply Hammerlane I apologize. The drawings are very difficult to read I'm new at this, is it better to post a link then an image?

Norm

Hammerlane

Reaction score
I believe your disances are within the acceptable range of using the stack to vent.

But I think you do not want the washer standpipe and the laundry sink on the same branch drain. You do not want the washer discharge rushing past the laundry sink trap. It is an easy remedy just to put in another San-T on the 3" above the San-T for the laundry sink. Kind of like the crude photo I attached.

Hopefully one of the other plumbers will chime in and give definite advice. You can always check with your local inspector too.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.JPG
    New Bitmap Image.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,194
Last edited:

N0rm

Reaction score
Thanks Hammerlane I will take your advice.
Norm

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I would connect the washer to the stack below the laundry sink,some codes may not accept that and want the lower fixture revented. The shower and the toilet are not vented properly IMO.

N0rm

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion Hackney plumbing. I was concerned that the shower and toilet wasn't properly vented. Virginia and Florida code are almost identical. The following code "only the fixtures within the bathroom group shall connect to the wet vented horizontal branch drain. Any additional fixtures shall discharge downstream of the horizontal wet vent". My layout fails in this respect. The upstream vertical vent is wet with the laundry discharge. Any opinions you can give me to correct this layout would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks
Norm

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
THis works, just flip everything from left to right for your layout.

P1150481.JPG

If I had done the job pictured I would have installed a 2" test tee fitting to fitting with the tee where the revent ties in. This way if the drain cloggs and the laundry sink is full of water,its not an issue. As an added benefit by its placement in that location you could run a cable through the revent also if needed......but since a revent really doesn't do anything in this situation anyway but make the inspector happy....you would probably never know the revent was clogged.

I'd like to see the pic after the water lines were installed. LOL

N0rm

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictured. How should the shower and toilet be vented.
What is "revent"

Norm

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I'm the only guy that picked up on the the shower being wet vented through the laundry stack? Can't do that. Only bathroom fixtures can be wet vented. The washer is a pressure drained appliance. When it does it's thing there is no vent for the shower. As for the rest of the washer vent/laundry sink piping. it's OK under the IPC. You need to back vent the shower.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
So I'm the only guy that picked up on the the shower being wet vented through the laundry stack? Can't do that. Only bathroom fixtures can be wet vented. The washer is a pressure drained appliance. When it does it's thing there is no vent for the shower. As for the rest of the washer vent/laundry sink piping. it's OK under the IPC. You need to back vent the shower.

No your not the only one. I failed that shower becuase of improper venting a few posts up the page.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
What is "revent"

Norm

The part in yellow from fittings #10 thru #4 and into #5 is a revent.
Someone elase will hopefully advise on the toilet/shower proper vent.

C'mon Mr. Sawyer...draw a layout:cool:

Attachments

• Dave88LX%2520from%2520terry%2520forum%25202.jpg
    Dave88LX%2520from%2520terry%2520forum%25202.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,189

Hammerlane

Reaction score
This is what Hackney is proposing. See the revent of the washer??

Attachments

• iubhuui.jpg
    iubhuui.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 835

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
This is what Hackney is proposing. See the revent of the washer??

I personally wouldn't revent the washer if its within its delveloped lenght from the vent. I would wet vent the washer with the laundry sink and keep the pipe 3" until I got above the laundry sink connection. Unless the code man wanted the washer revented. LOL

N0rm

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the input, Hackney even I can understand your visual aid. There's no doubt in my mind if you had professional drawings you could assemble it, box it and send installation instructions. Understand your major and minor for the laundry, and the revent or not if it will keep the code man happy, I will do it. The one thing I still don't have clear is venting the shower, someway I can tie it back into the three-inch stack with the cleanout or should I just vent it separately.

I stated in my first posting this site had become my favorite forum, It's all because of folks like you who will contribute your knowledge to a perfect stranger and contributors like Hackney Plumbing who says maybe the guy will understand if I go out in my yard and lay it out and take a photograph of the layout and posted it. May be it will help the retired old man do what he loves to do; work hard every day and stand back in the evening and looked at his accomplishments with help of others.
Thanks
Norm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks