DWV Layout Assistance

Users who are viewing this thread

robh

Reaction score
Mikey: Do I need 2" for the waste section or do I just need to extend the 2" vent pipe down to the sanitary T?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I think the standpipe and waste line need to be 2", but wait for a real plumber to cite chapter & verse. Modern washers throw an awful lot of water out the drain in a big hurry.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Good catch Mikey! I missed that change...
The washer standpipe, p-trap, & drain need to be 2"
The vent can be 1 1/2"

robh

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the washer pipe. I decided to stick with 2" for the vent portion since I am tying it into the 2" toilet vent. I also moved the shower vent over a couple of joists to make room for the washer p-trap. Lastly I tied the vanity drain vent to the main stack to save on a roof penetration. Any last bit of advice on this layout? Thanks so much for the feedback.

Attachments

• vent5-1.jpg
    vent5-1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • vent5-2.jpg
    vent5-2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,025
  • vent5-3.jpg
    vent5-3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 969
Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Clothes washer drain still labelled as 1 1/2", but colored as 2". It also looks kind of high -- check local regs to see how high/long the standpipe needs to be.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As far as the actual size and basic design it looks good. Now if the actual nuts & bolts get put together right...
This would include the details like pitch, trap height and standpipe length...

robh

Reaction score
The last installment I hope

Ok...so I looked up code on the standpipe for the washer and it looks like 18-30" is ok. So I made it 30" above the P-trap. I also corrected the labels for the washer ( it is 2" ). I assume that the shower vent and the drain pipes should have a 1/4" per foot pitch.

Attachments

• vent6-1.jpg
    vent6-1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 913
  • vent6-2.jpg
    vent6-2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 886
  • vent6-3.jpg
    vent6-3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 879
  • vent6-4.jpg
    vent6-4.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 876

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The top of the washer standpipe also needs to be above the top of the washer so that the water will not drain by gravity. With washers most do not have a valve on the discharge so if the drain hose goes below the water level in the washer it will drain by gravity.

robh

Reaction score
Ok...I think that's it. Thanks to all who commented. If I can help with sketchup or anything else computer related let me know.

Cheers,

-R

robh

Reaction score
That's like asking to see baby pictures -- be careful what you ask for. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks