DWV for new bathroom questions

Users who are viewing this thread

dlink

Reaction score
New Question on DWV for new bathroom

can you provide me some insight my new toilet main/vent run as shown in the picture.

when I connect a 3" horizontal run to a 3" vertical main is what I shown in the pic correct?

At the bottom of the main shown in the pic do I need to provide a cleanout and do I have to use a long 90 to go from vertical to horizontal.

Also as shown in the pic how do I connect a drain to the vertical/horizontal drain..

thank you a million times for any help

Attachments

• run1.jpg
    run1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 658
  • run2.jpg
    run2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 607

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
Looking at the first picture the toilet rough appears to be fine. On the 3" going up to tie into the rest of the bath I'd just take it up and make the turn with 2- 3" 45". I would place a cleanout tee (testtee) about 18" to 24" off the floor below the wye shown. Either use long sweep 90"s or 45"s to make the turns under slab.

I have to say that is a lot of venting, down here there would only be 1 vent for that entire bath.

dlink

Reaction score
Looking at the first picture the toilet rough appears to be fine. On the 3" going up to tie into the rest of the bath I'd just take it up and make the turn with 2- 3" 45". I would place a cleanout tee (testtee) about 18" to 24" off the floor below the wye shown. Either use long sweep 90"s or 45"s to make the turns under slab.

I have to say that is a lot of venting, down here there would only be 1 vent for that entire bath.

again I appreciate your help. And yes in MInnesota I need to have a seperate vent for each fixture.

Also as shown in the 2nd pic, how do I connect the drain into the main once it turns from it vertical run to the horizontal run under the slab.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If its on the vertical section, a santee is acceptable. Otherwise you'll need a wye and bend if you intend on connecting into the horizontal run.

dlink

Reaction score
If its on the vertical section, a santee is acceptable. Otherwise you'll need a wye and bend if you intend on connecting into the horizontal run.

I some what understand what yu are saying. But since my main is running vertical and then horizontal below the slab I will need a long 90 or x2 45. So how do I satisfy that requirment along with adding the floor drain with a 2" out into the horizontal part of the run?

Attachments

• run3.jpg
    run3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 607

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you want your floor drain where it is in the picture, use a wye and 1/8 bend instead of the long sweep 90 or 45's. Then off the back, use a reducer and connect your floor drain. If you can bring your stack out a little ways to bring it in line with the run under the slab, it would be even better still. If you want your floor drain off to the side, use the long sweep 90 and then put a 4x4x2 wye and 1/8 bend on the horizontal run. Attach your floor drain to that like in the second pic.

run2.jpg

run3.jpg

Last edited:

dlink

Reaction score
The ac/furnace that is next to the drain will of course be draining into the floor drain that we will be installing. Would we still need a primer?

SeattleSean

Reaction score
Can't you run vents below slab as long as they are not truely horizontal and slope 1/4" per foot. That what I was going to run for mine. Is this correct?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
a short section of the vent may end up horizontal for something like a shower drain, but basically, you need the vent to turn up as soon as possible. And, you could never connect multiple vents underneath the slab, only above the flood plane of the traps they serve.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I know nhmaster is always correcting drawings that have vents that look horizantal but if they branch out at 45 degrees I think its fine, of course keeping 1/4" per foot at that 45 degree angle.

dlink

Reaction score
Need addtional assistance for drain and venting

esplumbing-378252-albums-misc-shots-pic24403-02-22-2009-10-36-53pm.jpg

The plumbing drawing shows the drain and venting for the shower and tub. Minnesota code requires a seperate vent leaving each fixture ( as shown in the plumbing draft)

I have a question on how to run the vents and drain for the shower and tub because of space limitation I have as shown in the digtial picture.

If I was to use a san tee as shown in the draft and a long 90* to make the phyical drain run I would not have the height needed ( the san tee and and drain is of course below the floor above)
The second picture is below shot

Attachments

• DSCN9939.jpg
    DSCN9939.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 538
  • DSCN9940.jpg
    DSCN9940.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:

dlink

Reaction score
Updated DWV Question

Update thought on how to run DWV for seperate tub and shower Please pic and post your comments. And Yes this bathroom will be inspected

Thank You

Attachments

• DSCN9941.jpg
    DSCN9941.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 576

dlink

Reaction score
That piece that says to vertical vent is wrong. It can not run horizontal.

As the red lines in the pic show the space I have to work with (7 Inches between red lines) -how do I make the connection correctly. I kind of thought that since I first ran my vent horizontal and then vertical that it would be wrong.

But since I dont have enough room to run the plumbing as shown in the drawning what are my options?

Thank You

Attachments

• DSCN9939.jpg
    DSCN9939.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 527
  • plumb.jpg
    plumb.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

dlink

Reaction score
As the red lines in the pic show the space I have to work with (7 Inches between red lines) -how do I make the connection correctly. I kind of thought that since I first ran my vent horizontal and then vertical that it would be wrong.

But since I dont have enough room to run the plumbing as shown in the drawning what are my options?

Thank You

Anyone have any suggestions ?

dlink

Reaction score

Thank You

Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the drain going to run over to where the vent can go vertical? If so, then just make the vent go vertical there. The distance from the trap to the vent depends on the size of the drain line...I think for 1.5" pipe you have about 5'. There must be a vent before the drain connectes to another drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks