DWV Drawing for adding half bath--please comment

Users who are viewing this thread

teddynono

Reaction score
Hello,

Long time reader first time poster.

I am adding a half bath to one corner of my kitchen. I'd like to tie the toilet and sink into the existing 3" stack that serves the rest of the house.

How does my drawing look?

Thank you very much for your help.

plumbing diagram.jpg

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
The only thing I would change is to wye off the toilet with a combine on a 45deg. angle and pick the sink up on a 2in. line and continue your vent, that will wet vent your toilet

teddynono

Reaction score
The only thing I would change is to wye off the toilet with a combine on a 45deg. angle and pick the sink up on a 2in. line and continue your vent, that will wet vent your toilet

Can you clarify what you mean by "wye off the toilet with a combine?" I'm not sure what fitting this is. Thanks very much for your help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He means a "combo", which is NOT the fitting for either the toilet or the sink. Do NOT use "Y"s either. You use plain sanitary tees to connect both the toilet and the sink.

teddynono

Reaction score
I have re-drawn to include the specific fittings that will be used. Am I using the right fittings?

Key:
Red = new
Black = existing
Dashed line = vent
Solid line = waste line

Thank you.

tn_plumbing diagram v3.jpg

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
"new 2" vent wye"

I don't under stand why or how you could use that there unless you used a 45 elbow as well, but why use a wye in the first place...?

I'm pretty sure HJ wasn't talking about using a sanitary tee where the w/c line ties in below the sink... I don't know how much room you have in your crawl space, but I would rather have the line bend 90 degrees before I dumped the w/c into it rather than bend 90 degrees immediately after.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He has it EXACTLY as I meant it, (although there are many possible variations depending on space limitations, head room, etc.), other than the "vent Y" should be a sanitary tee, and he does not have it inverted as it should be for venting purposes. I would also put the vertical riser behind the lavatory to eliminate the horizontal arm.

teddynono

Reaction score
Excellent. Thank you both for your input and comments. Very helpful.

One last question. Depending on the amount of room in the crawl space, I am also considering an alternate approach. Would this drawing work also?

Note in the drawing the sanitary combo would be oriented with the 2" portion facing upwards.

plumbing diagram v4.jpg

Thank you.

teddynono

Reaction score
One more question. I should probably install a clean out since my house is so old that it does not have one. Where would be a good spot to install a clean up in the two drawings?

Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks