DWV Design - DIY Bathroom Renovation

Users who are viewing this thread

kevman

Reaction score
Hello,

Long term lurker first time poster. Very impressed with the information on this website. My apologies in advance if these questions have been asked before.

I'm in the middle of a bathroom renovation that includes the complete stack replacement from Cast Iron to ABS. I've pulled permits but am not always getting clear on consistent answer from my municipality over the phone so I'd just like to clarify some things with my design. Please let me know if you see any issues.

First of all, I've attached a sketch of the above view of the bathroom. The toilet will be ~5' from the main 4" stack. This line will run under the joists and connect to the stack with a 4"x4"x3" Sanitary Tee. I was hoping to go through the joists but according to the Canadian National Building code I can only drill up to 1/4 which is only 2.8125 of a 2x12 joist. I will then be plumbing my sink and shower into this toilet line in the joist space as detailed in the sketch. I've been informed that running the sink into the toilet drain with a wye and 45° is OK. I've also been informed that running the shower into the sink drain/vent line is OK. What I'm confused on is whether or not I can use a sanitary tee to connect the shower to the short vertical leg of the sink drain/vent before it reaches the wye to the toilet? The shower drain P-trap will be approximately 4' from the toilet leg.

Next, I'm confused on how to properly install a clean out at the base of the vertical sink drain. I had planned on using a long sweep 90° at the base since the transition will be made in a concealed joist space. I know I can put a clean out at the base of the wall but I plan to use a floating vanity with wall tile right to the floor and as such would rather not have a clean out visible. Can the sink P-trap be removed to be used as a clean out? Is a clean out on this short leg necessary? The complete horizontal distance of the sink drain/vent will be approximately 4' from the base of the vertical drain. (Two, 2' sections with a 90° long sweep).

As an FYI the vent above the sink will continue on to the attic as a 2" line and then connect to the main 4" vent in the attic.

Finally, and this may seem silly, but is there anything wrong with having the rough plumbing off centre of the vanity? I plan to use an IKEA Godmorgon vanity so it looks like the weird proprietary plumbing might work better with an offset drain anyway. I ask this question because in a perfect world I could centre the drain line with the vanity by hugging the stud as shown in the attached picture. However, there is some joist blocking that is in the way at the base of the wall. It would be much easier to not have to remove or alter this blocking and instead run the plumbing off to one side of the vanity. My OCD is bothered by things not being centered but other than that is there a reason I should not do this?

Thanks in advance for the help and insight.

Attachments

• dwv sketch.jpg
    dwv sketch.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Vanity Sketch.jpg
    Vanity Sketch.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 237

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We put the sink clean-out in the wall below the sink. I am not clear how you are proposing to tie in the shower- a diagram or mock-up showing the fittings as you are proposing to install them may be useful for us.
If the fixtures are being wet-vented through the sink vent, the shower must tie in between the sink and the connection to the 3" line from the toilet.

kevman

Reaction score
Did the previous attachments not work? None the less, my original proposal won't fit in the joist space.

I've attached an updated drawing. Going upstream from the 3" toilet line I'd like to use a 3"x3"x2" wye set vertically to tie in the shower/sink leg to the toilet. From there a 45' bend would go horizontal before a 2"x2"x2" wye set horizontally ties in the shower to the sink/vent line. The shower line proceeds horizontally to the p-trap while the sink/vent line then has 2 90' long sweep bends to get to the base of the drain before going up to the sink assembly and vent.

Attachments

• IMG_20161028_220824273.jpg
    IMG_20161028_220824273.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 231

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your sink and shower are "S" traps because they do NOT have vents on them. Municipalities usually INSPECT the work after it is done, they do NOT advise how to do it, normally, (there can be liability issues if they do).

kevman

Reaction score
I didn't show that detail in the picture but the vertical leg that says "to sink drain&vent" will continue on to the attic and then connect back to the main stack before going through the roof. Is that not an appropriate vent?

Another option is to install the vent on the shower side of the toilet and have a 32"-42" horizontal trap arm through the wall studs from the sink stack to the stick stub out. In this scenario I would use a vertical wye and 45° to bring the shower/sink drain into the stud space above the toilet drain. After that a 90° elbow would head toward the shower with a horizontal 2" wye tying in the sink/vent to the shower p-trap. The horizontal run from the horizontal wye to the shower p-trap would be ~24" where the horizontal run from the wye to the sink drain& vent stack would be ~30". I've attached a photo. Would this be a better configuration? Pros to this lay out are a simple and clean layout in the joists. Cons are the 32"-42" trap arm through the studs from the sink to the vent and the 90° stub out. I know 90's in this situation are allowed but it seems to be a shorter trap arm is preferred.

Attachments

• IMG_20161029_104924920.jpg
    IMG_20161029_104924920.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 219

kevman

Reaction score
Here's the photo again with labels. Hopefully this is more clear.

Attachments

• mock up with labels.jpg
    mock up with labels.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 228

kevman

Reaction score
Thanks.

One more question: is there anything wrong with running the wet vent arm into the vertical part of the toilet drain before the closet bend with a 3"x3"x2"sani-tee? I realized that if I move the shower drain over one joist bay I have one less hole to drill and can use less fittings. My sink and shower would still meet horizontally with a wye before a straight run to the toilet. I would use a horizontal 45' to the 3"x3"x2" sani-tee to offset just a little bit to the rear. (Away from the direction of flow) Due to the joist layout my shower drain was never going to be in the true centre anyway so having it even closer to one side doesn't make a difference.

I can't think of why it wouldn't be allowed but I haven't been able to find many examples like this so it's either a) not very common or b) against code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks