DWV Check (Second Opinion)

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY Lemon

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Years ago I received some excellent advice from this forum on a DWV plan for my main level 3/4 bathroom. I installed the rough plumbing underneath the slab and unfortunately due to time constraints I will be unable to finish the installation of fixtures. I had a plumber out today to look at finishing the job and he was concerned that the drain arrangement would cause the shower drain to be siphoned when the toilet is flushed because its not vented properly. I wanted to get a second opinion from you all in case I executed the installation incorrectly. Is it "Hammer Time" ;)?

IMG_4495.JPG
IMG_4494.JPG

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like a UPC-compliant wet vent to me, assuming the horizontal connection to the 3x3x2 (?) san-tee is the lavatory (can't read that bit of red text).

What's your plan for the cleanout downstream of the bathroom group / laundry wye? I think a cleanout on the vertical 3" above slab drain would be typical.

Cheers, Wayne

DIY Lemon

Reaction score
Looks like a UPC-compliant wet vent to me, assuming the horizontal connection to the 3x3x2 (?) san-tee is the lavatory (can't read that bit of red text).

What's your plan for the cleanout downstream of the bathroom group / laundry wye? I think a cleanout on the vertical 3" above slab drain would be typical.

Cheers, Wayne
Yes, the 3x3x2 is to the lav. The cleanout has been glued shut. It was only installed to test the system. Thanks for the reply!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it code compliant or properly vented. The toilet needs to be downstream of everything for it to be a wet horizontal wet vent. In which case your shower trap arm needs a vent.

Your plumber is correct.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it code compliant or properly vented. The toilet needs to be downstream of everything for it to be a wet horizontal wet vent. In which case your shower trap arm needs a vent.
Perhaps you are interpreting the pictures differently that I am. I see an upper 3x3x1-1/2 san-tee, where the top reduces to 2" as a dry vent, and the side is presumably the lavatory. Below that, I see a 3" 45, and a 3x3x2 san-tee on the diagonal, where the 2" side entry is the shower, wet vented by the lavatory. Below that, I see a 3" upright wye, where the straight inlet is the WC, wet vented by the lav/shower.

What's the problem with that arrangement? Seems like a compliant vertical wet vent.

The downstream horizontal 3x3x2 wye is for the laundry, per the hard to read red text.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps you are interpreting the pictures differently that I am. I see an upper 3x3x1-1/2 san-tee, where the top reduces to 2" as a dry vent, and the side is presumably the lavatory. Below that, I see a 3" 45, and a 3x3x2 san-tee on the diagonal, where the 2" side entry is the shower, wet vented by the lavatory. Below that, I see a 3" upright wye, where the straight inlet is the WC, wet vented by the lav/shower.

What's the problem with that arrangement? Seems like a compliant vertical wet vent.

The downstream horizontal 3x3x2 wye is for the laundry, per the hard to read red text.

Cheers, Wayne
Your right... Again. The copper pipe obscured the tee. It is a vertical wet vent.

Your plumber is wrong you have a properly vented shower trap arm.

DIY Lemon

Reaction score
Apologies about the hard to read text! Wayne is spot-on with the fitting identifications. Thank you both!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks