DW drain is breaking trap seal

Users who are viewing this thread

dk4dk4

Reaction score
After the dishwasher drain cycle I can smell gas in the sink area. The trap seal must be getting broke by the drain cycle of the DW allowing gases to come up into sink(s). Can anyone spot anything wrong in the picture?

Attachments

• Image2112007118.jpg
    Image2112007118.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 259

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless there is a problem with the piping inside the wall, it is NOT breaking the trap seal. But, odors are very subjective and what you THINK you smell may NOT BE what is is or where it is coming from.

dk4dk4

Reaction score
well if we run water in the sink after we notice the smell that fixes the issue. So I'm not sure what else we'd be smelling?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. If the pipe in the wall is proper, NOTHING would "siphon" the trap
2. Even if the pipe is improperly installed, it would be a "reach" for the DW drain to EVER siphon the trap

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never done a sink quite like that myself. I use slip joint fittings to the greatest extent possible; the glue-up style is much harder to service when something goes wrong. I don't see anything there that would indicate a siphoning issue. I've installed that type of sink basket before, but it's not common in my experience. It could be that they are accumulating some kind of guff in the body of the drain fitting and the stink thereof is getting blasted back into the room when the dishwasher spins out. Only thing I can see. Work on it with some chlorine bleach and see if that helps.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never done a sink quite like that myself. I use slip joint fittings to the greatest extent possible; the glue-up style is much harder to service when something goes wrong. I don't see anything there that would indicate a siphoning issue. I've installed that type of sink basket before, but it's not common in my experience. It could be that they are accumulating some kind of guff in the body of the drain fitting and the stink thereof is getting blasted back into the room when the dishwasher spins out. Only thing I can see. Work on it with some chlorine bleach and see if that helps.
Most sinks people order now are coming with those plastic basket strainers. At least where I live

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the picture, but is the wall drain connection higher than the horizontal piece between the sinks?

dk4dk4

Reaction score
The wall connection and the horizontal piece between the sinks are of equal height.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks