DUROCK Cement Board for Exterior Walls

Users who are viewing this thread

MAD King

Reaction score
Hello,

can I use the cement boards for the exterior walls?
I would like to replace the vinyl siding and the plywood underneath with the cement board.
I read a little bit that it is possible, but not on how it is done right.
Anyone with good advices?

Thank you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At least some of the cbu manufacturers (James Hardie for one) make cement based exterior siding...I'm not sure about Durock. On some, you can get it prepainted, or in a primer. Also comes in various styles and panel sizes. Over the years, some of them have had issues, but much of that falls back to not following the instructions to the letter (critical on this type of install).

MAD King

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I know about the cement sidings, but I do not like the look of it.
That's why I would like to have the cement board and on top some stucco.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I do not think any of the cbu boards are suitable as a structural panel (i.e., say in place of plywood for the cladding)...they are only a compatibility layer for mortar based materials. For wind load, earthquakes, and similar loading, the cbu cannot be used alone - ply, or a similarly rated material must be there to prevent racking and as a resilient panel that holds things together. Cbu would crumble around the fasteners if it were required to be a load bearing panel under those circumstances and then not provide the structural strength required.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Durock from what little I have seen of it is a crappy board.

Wonderboard Panels look much better.

Hardi Backer Panels not approved for outdoors.

You will want drainage, a rain screen, a scratch coat, a brown coat and a top coat.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Not all fiber cement backer-boards are rated for exterior use- many will fall apart from freeze/thaw cycles in short years in a Nashville TN climate.

If you are going for stucco, you need at least a 1/4" ventilation gap (3/4" is better) between the stucco and any sheathing or the moisture drives during the summer will rot your finish wall. If wood sheathing, you'll need a ~0.6-2 perm vapor retarder (double-layered #15 felt is the classic) on the vent-gap side of the sheathing.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score

I worked with both boards this month. Love Wonder Board - hate Durock.

Found the Durock, dry, brittle and very weak at the surface layer.

Don't think a cement backer board is your answer.

Look up Rain Screens and go at the process with a more traditional install.

Stucc is a funny beast. Lots of variations you can try.

Do you have a local stucco supply yard? They have many products designed to make life easier for you.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
But aren't the panels made from the same material?

Fiber cement siding is applied over the structural wall sheathing, it is for appearance and waterproofing, not structural purposes. While an interior wall may add some structural strength, and cbu may be used there, just like drywall, it is not structural from the external viewpoint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks