Duravit Starck Tub Installation advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

CarloR

Reaction score
Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first post.
I'm a homeowner working with a plumber and a carpenter and tile guy who don't seem to have much experience with Duravit products. We are looking at a Starck acrylic tub, 59 1/2 x 29 1/2, and so far as I can tell from the installation instructions and from talking to Duravit, you can:

(i) drill into it (!) and install it on the supplied brackets and 'legs', which raise the tub 3-4" and creates space for the drain assembly if you don't have access below (and perhaps simulates the height of a traditional clawfoot soaking tub). Duravit says it's about 1/4" thick, thicker than other acrylic tubs, and that this is fine.

(ii) install it without the brackets on a bed of mortar; or

(iii) do both, which Duravit tech support says is acceptable, but which would presumably put the tub at a third height, unless one poured a really thick slab (if that is even a realistic possibility).

The tub will be used only as a tub and is going in an alcove. The front will be boarded and tiled (we are not using one of Duravit's click-on panels).

Has anyone on the board installed one (or more) of these tubs? If so, how did you do it, and how did it work out?

Would you have any advice and/or experience to share?

Thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on how level the room is. If it's dead level, then using the legs should work fine. If the floor slopes, then some form of shimming, and the piles of mortar work.
I've set some tubs down on flat level floors with nothing and it's been fine too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks