Duel Water pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Dhays

Reaction score
I have a shallow well with a jet pump that pumps 3 gallons per minute. This is not enough to run my backwash system which requires 5-7 gallons per minute. To remedy I installed an 80 gallon holding tank and installed a second pump to pump water from there to ny backwash system which should give me the 5-7 gallons per minute. I need to see if someone can help me figure out how to make both pumps run at the same time without tearing anything up or burning up the motors. Can you help? What do I need to do or install?

Reach4

Reaction score
The first pump, called the well pump, is controlled by a float switch in the tank. The water from the tank is pumped by what is called a pressure pump, and it is that water that feeds to the pressure switch and pressure tank. There can also be a float switch in the tank which inhibits the pressure pump if the tank is low.

Diagrams available.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You won't be able to make that work using a 80 gallon pressure tank. You need a atmospheric pressure storage tank instead. The 80 gallon pressure tank only holds 20 gallons of water and is designed to be completely empty before the booster pump would even start. Like Reach said you need a storage tank with float switch for the booster pump to draw from.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Dhays

Reaction score
can you answer another question? On pump one which pumps from the wel,l it is a jet pump. When pumping into the holding tank my valve has to be closed 3/4ths before it builds up enough pressure to pump into the tank. Anyway to make it pump with the valve fully open?

Reach4

Reaction score
can you answer another question? On pump one which pumps from the wel,l it is a jet pump. When pumping into the holding tank my valve has to be closed 3/4ths before it builds up enough pressure to pump into the tank. Anyway to make it pump with the valve fully open?
Two pipes connect the pipe pump from the well? If so, I suspect not.
[typo corrected]

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
So partially closing that valve is important. The system makes pressure to push water up by having a venturi pump down the well. That is run by water running down the well from one of the pipes. That venturi/jet needs enough pressure. So there is going to be an optimum restriction for that valve between the pump and the tank.

Some pump systems use a device, called a regulator, to optimize that backpressure on the fly.

Dhays

Reaction score
So partially closing that valve is important. The system makes pressure to push water up by having a venturi pump down the well. That is run by water running down the well from one of the pipes. That venturi/jet needs enough pressure. So there is going to be an optimum restriction for that valve between the pump and the tank.

Some pump systems use a device, called a regulator, to optimize that backpressure on the fly.
so i need a pressure regulator? where do i get this from

Dhays

Reaction score

I finally got my regulator in. Should this be installed between the jet pump and the holding tank and before my shut off valve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks