Ductwork for woodstove need help

Users who are viewing this thread

joshua jones

Reaction score
ok fellas I have a question and asked a lot of people and can't seem to get an answer. I put a new woodstove outside it's forced air. I have no duct work in my home at the moment. I hooked up my cold air return which is 12 inch. the other line is 10inch. the stove is 1800 cfm. and from the looks of I need a 25/14 main trunk line. my question is should I run my trunk horizontal and tie in my 10 inch from the stove to center so it splits and runs each way. the main trunk line will be around 25 foot long and if I built it this way my runs to rooms will be shorter. or should I run it right in the end of my trunk. if I do it that way my runs to my rooms will be around 25 foot. I wasn't sure what would be the best way to the my stove into it. I want to get all the air i can out of each run.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I would need a better picture, and at least a model number for the forced air wood burner to even take a WAG at this.

Is paying a professional engineer for a Manual-D duct design out of the question?

joshua jones

Reaction score
well I was hoping to do it my self. it comes out of the stove 10inch and I have to run it into a trunk. just not sure if I should run it straight into my trunk line or run it in the side so the air splits and goes in each detection. if I do that my runs will be shorter

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If you're not going to share any details about the wood-burner model # or air handler specs it's hard to come up with relevant suggestions. A room by room heat load calculation would be in order too.

With the information given to date now it's akin to asking, "What sort of tires should I put on this car. The car uses gas, has a 2 liter engine, and it's blue."

joshua jones

Reaction score
If you're not going to share any details about the wood-burner model # or air handler specs it's hard to come up with relevant suggestions. A room by room heat load calculation would be in order too.

With the information given to date now it's akin to asking, "What sort of tires should I put on this car. The car uses gas, has a 2 liter engine, and it's blue."

joshua jones

Reaction score
it's a shelter woodstove. the back rooms are 15 bye 15 and my living room and kitchen is mostly open it is 25 bye 30. the bathroom is 8 bye 8. it's a 1800 cfm blower and out of the woodstove threw my window is a 10 inch round pipe. but I was going to tie that in a 25 bye 14 square main trunk line. I figured the bedrooms need 7 inch and the living and kitchen would get 8 inch. but if I run my 10 inch straight into my main trunk my runs to the back rooms will be around 25foot long. I wasn't sure if I would loose much air and heat with 2 7inch runs that long. or if I should tie my 10 inch in the middle of the trunk line with will be around 25 foot long and my runs comming off of it will only be around 7 foot long to each room. sorry if I'm not explaining this very good I'm just trying to figure out which way I would get the most air to the other end of the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks