Dual Trip Breaker Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Snets

Reaction score
I have two Type BR dual-trip breakers (15A) in my panel for what I think are called branch circuits (four circuits - that is two 14-3 wires with red and black hots, one common each...they share a common so when one trips, they both need to trip (red and black) I think I have that right.

The two breakers take up 4 positions in the panel. Can I make a little more room by using a Eaton BQ215215 for the four circuits? That would only take up two spaces......

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes, although I am less than enthusiastic about the metal "bridge" that ties the two outside handles together. And you have to be certain to tie the "correct" circuits into the four poles.

Stuff

Reaction score
That is a tandem/quad breaker. Some panels do not take them and others only in certain positions. Take a look on the label on the inside of the cover. It should list BQ breakers along with BR.

Snets

Reaction score
That is a tandem/quad breaker. Some panels do not take them and others only in certain positions. Take a look on the label on the inside of the cover. It should list BQ breakers along with BR.
There is no label on the panel, no info whatsoever. I have similar BQ breakers installed for the dryer (220V) and for a spa (220V)

Snets

Reaction score
I decided to install a sub panel and leave the main panel alone. I already had a 50A 220V breaker and 6 Gauge 4 wire NM running to the location where I stubbed the new 110V circuits (Was previously for a hot tub that has been removed). My sub panel now has two 15A GFI breakers for the two circuits I needed for the outdoor kitchen.

I feel better about this install than trying to squeeze more circuits into my 100A main panel which is full.....Almost....I have one 20A leg of a quad 20/50 breaker unused.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
From the sound of it you would have been fine installing that quad, but you are obviously past that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks