Dual Tank Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I rarely see dual tank softeners but kinetico always are dual tank.

Are there really any advantages to dual tank? I realize that you always have soft water with dual tank (can be regenerated anytime) and perhaps maybe the dual tank uses less salt. Am I missing anything else?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Commercial applications use twin alternating, or multiple tank designs. The reason is that a properly sized single tank system should regenerate every 7 days or more for maximum efficiency. In commercial applications this would mean a huge system would have to be installed. Electronic twin alternating are massively efficient, non electric designs have definite limitations, this is a classroom session of about an hour to go into the minutia of all the details, but to keep it simple a twin alternating design (like the system you mentioned above) plays a critical role in system efficiency for high water use or high hardness applications. In the vast majority of residential applications there will be very little if any salt savings. Since the systems regenerate in the middle of the night or any time you program them to, the hard water bypassing during regeneration is of little consequence. Here is a common example of a commercial multi tank design, these are the most efficient designs (outside of some obscure designs that some companies promote that use exotic but poorly thought out, high maintenance etc. designs) that are commonly used in large commercial applications. https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/102-103

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
My understanding is that with twin tanks you can use all of the capacity before needing regen whereas with a single tank it may need to regen a little early.

Also does the twin design regen with soft water from the other tank and if so what is the advantage?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Correct and yes but... due to limitations of non electric system designs their efficiency can be limited. It is way to much detail to go into here and really not that important. The efficiency of theoretical 100% for a twin alternating system (not really 100%, due to design limitations you will get typically closer to 90%) vs. a single tank design which if done properly will regenerate every 10 days, you will be at the same 90%. Most higher end electronic systems use a timed refill which is far more accurate than a float refill design. You can also program in exact numbers since you are not limited to a series of pre-set components that are minimally adjustable. It is a classroom session, not really a DIY board topic.

Regenerating with soft water has its pros and no real cons. From a real world standpoint, 99% of the time it does not matter. On a rare occasion it does matter.

I will be in Texas in a couple weeks, I am working with a manufacturer at a training seminar, are you available? I could send you an invite.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks