Dual Sink Drain Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

drowe

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation. I replaced a dual sink vanity with two pedestal sinks. I cut the old PVC waste pipe that fed the two sinks in the old vanity and ran the new pipe so it came out of the wall directly behind each pedestal. After installing new sinks and testing the drain, water is flowing slow and backing up into one of the sinks and leaking out of the slip-joints. What would cause this to happen?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Where was the trap or traps on the old vanity? Do you now have separate traps on each sink? How do they come together into the drain? Do you have pitch on the line?

Is the wall buttoned up yet,or could you post a picture.?

Slip joints should not leak even if filled with water. Tighten the connections or replace the gaskets.

drowe

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Where was the trap or traps on the old vanity?
There were two traps and were inside the vanity.

Do you now have separate traps on each sink?
Yes

How do they come together into the drain?
I extended the line and came off the line with a 90 degree T for the first sink and 90 degree elbow at end of the line and came out of the wall to the traps for each sink.

Do you have pitch on the line?
Where I hooked into the existing line I expected it to have adequate pitch. This could be a problem though.

Is the wall buttoned up yet,or could you post a picture.?
The wall is buttoned up but I have attached a picture. Self extracting zip file attached.

Slip joints should not leak even if filled with water. Tighten the connections or replace the gaskets. This one I've been fighting with; handtightened, gone over handtightening with a wrench by a half turn, etc. These is new stock. Do the gaskets need to be dressed with anything?

Thanks

Dan

Attachments

• Bathroom.zip
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,252

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Technically you did not install it properly, since there should have been a vent between the two traps. But the way you drew it should work okay, unless the line in the wall is not pitched properly, or there is some other condition inside the wall that your drawing does not show.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Good picture. Thank you. Do both sinks drain slowly, or only the one on the right? Assuming you did not increase the depth of the trap, is it possible that some construction debris got in the lines? Did the previous sinks drain OK?

On slip joints, I like the rubber gaskets instead of the nylon ones. They are more forgiving. I use a little vaseline or faucet grease. Nothing is applied to the nylon gaskets.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Neophrene & Dope

I use the tapered neophrene washers and teflon pipe paste. The rubber ones get old and break and don't fit into the tapered adapter well.

drowe

Reaction score
Thanks all for your tips.

LonnythePlumber, I'll give the tapered neophrene washers and teflon pipe paste a try.

Jimbo, both sinks drain slow. When I dump water into the sink on the right water will push up through the trap in the left sink. I don't use this bathroom, so I don't know if it drained slow before or not. But the few times I used it in the past it seemed OK. I did put a level to the pipe before I closed up the wall and had the bubble just to the right of the line; maybe this isn't enough pitch. I did snake line feeding the new work 2-3 feet, so I don't think there's any block that I can tell.

HJ, why the vent between the two traps?

Thanks

drowe

drowe

Reaction score
Problem solved!

Used the tapered gaskets with silcone paste; worked like a charm. Filled sinks with water and everything held including the papertowel that was 4 feet down the line. Snaked it out and everythings working.

Thanks gentlemen for your leads.

snugbug47ga

Reaction score
dual sink connections

I am trying to add the plumbing to convert a one sink vanity to a two sink vanity , what extra pieces will I need. Also would you have a diagram, since I am not too familiar with plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks