Dual Purpose Water Supply Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Boltnut

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have an IBC tote in the front yard and use a transfer pump to store water in a 2400-gallon storage tank in the backyard. This supply line is 1.5" PVC above ground. I have a 2" underground supply line running from the 2400-gallon storage tank up to the house pump.

Well, in the Texas freeze, I lost 100ft of the above ground PVC pipe running from my IBC tote in front yard to my 2400 gallon storage tank in the backyard (because it was not fully drained). My question:

Is there any reason I could not Tee into the existing "underground" PVC water supply line running between the 2400-gallon storage tank and the house pump and use this same supply line to transfer from the IBC tote in front yard back to the storage tank?

I have attached a diagram. The green line would be new portions of pipe to Tee-in, and the blue line is what already exists and is in use. There would be shut off valves to isolate the flow. No water would be required during the transfers from IBC to backyard storage.

Appreciate all thoughts, comments, advice!
Water Line.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Not a good idea, to much closing & opening valves etc. where a mistake can be made. Do you know how many breaks you have in the PVC? Is it worth repairing or just too many breaks?

Low cost Poly Pipe can be used to replace the bad PVC pipe. It comes in 100 ft or longer coils. It's tough so you can lay it on the ground for now and eventually bury it. Since it is black and above ground the sun will really heat up the water so burying it is recommended.

https://askinglot.com/can-you-use-poly-pipe-for-drinking-water

Boltnut

Reaction score
Not a good idea, to much closing & opening valves etc. where a mistake can be made. Do you know how many breaks you have in the PVC? Is it worth repairing or just too many breaks?

Low cost Poly Pipe can be used to replace the bad PVC pipe. It comes in 100 ft or longer coils. It's tough so you can lay it on the ground for now and eventually bury it. Since it is black and above ground the sun will really heat up the water so burying it is recommended.

https://askinglot.com/can-you-use-poly-pipe-for-drinking-water

Boltnut

Reaction score
Thank you for the comment!
I agree that there's too much room for error (getting air into the line?)

I had read about the Poly Pipe, and the 100ft length would do the trick. I know the lake homes around here use it, usually going down embankments to the lake. I think burying the pipe at some point sounds the most practical.

Thanks for the link!

Oh, and yes, way too many breaks in PVC! Lessons learned.

Boltnut

Reaction score
How does water get into the IBC tote?
I have tote on trailer and use a fire hose to get water from 'authorized' fire hydrant in an ETJ district (outside city water supply). I draw water about once a month and transfer to 2400 tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks to me as if it should work. Maybe add a check valve in series with the tote pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks