Dual linear drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

R0BERT

Reaction score
So first of all, so much info has been gathered here by so many different people I had to make an account.

We are building an addition and with it a master bath that's 7x13. My plan is to put in a curbless shower that's about 73x44 without any partition to the rest of the bathroom. This bathroom will have two shower heads and valves and share one exterior wall. This will be supplied by 3/4 pex main line and branched to 1/2 pex up to the valves. This will be covered with cement board (next gen 4x8 on 16" PC studs) which will be waterproofed with regard. I plan on using a sand cement mix fitt the bed. I hope that covers what might be needed to give a possible answer/suggestion.

On to the question. I ordered a 60" inch linear drain due to not finding a 72" under 500$. Is there an issue using a drain that size for the measurements given. The other thing I think would be nice may be using dual 36" linear drains. Two 36" linear drains still puts me way under the 600$ plus for a 72" drain. What's the best plan to go with?

Thanks in advance all.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any way the layout would allow sloping it to the 44" dimension? It's best if the drain BODY, not necessarily the opening since the body will have sealing flanges all around it fit between the walls.

One of the biggest expenses on a linear drain is the drain cover. The least expensive version is often one that can be tiled verses having all of that pretty metal that is polished and deburred. Keeping it straight and flat is one reason why it costs so much.

Custom Building Products does have a method of waterproofing a shower with RedGard liquid. IMHO, it's a bit tougher to do that you might think. You must follow and execute it VERY carefully, with little margin for error. Get yourself a (cheap) wet film thickness gauge, learn how to use it, and check often. This is critical when painting on a liquid waterproofing. A sheet membrane is a better choice and makes it easier to tie it into anything you may have in the rest of the room.

I'd ask this over at www.johnbridge.com where they deal with this sort of stuff more often and there are more professional tilers that participate.

R0BERT

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I can not put the drain on the 44" side due to the lip/ step created by the needed slope in that direction giving me about a 2" lip on the side where the drain is in relation to the rest of the bathroom floor. If I had a partial wall there it would work but the wifey does not want any walls or glass (too many young kids) separating the shower. I'll get with the people at john bridge a shout to see what they think. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks